Cleaning pleated curtains

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Parsley

We bought an older motorhome this year and the pleated curtains need cleaned. Has anyone done this and how did you do it?  Thanks!

Curtains or the pleated shades?

I took out all my old pleated 1990's "granny blue" shades and placed them nicely in the dumpster - then went to wally world and bought some curtain rods to fit the windows and some white curtains - the daylight that comes through the new curtains brightens up the place very nicely.  Pinterest has some great ideas on RV redecorating too.

Parsley said:
We bought an older motorhome this year and the pleated curtains need cleaned. Has anyone done this and how did you do it?  Thanks!

If you mean the ones like in the Newmar MHs, I cleaned mine with Woolite.  I took the blinds down and used the bathtub in the sticks and bricks house with warm water and Woolite with a little Oxyclean.  I let them soak for about an hour and then shook them while they were in the suds.  I then drained the soapy mixture, refilled with fresh water and swished them around and then drained and reflushed till the water was clear with no sign of suds.

I then got them folded as they would be while driving, held them that way with cable ties and hung them up for a few days till they were dry.  I did this several times over the 10 years and then I bought new ones as the others showed signs of wear.

Curtains can be washed (gently) in your washing machine, Dry lightly on warm, or hang outside to dry..

Pleated window shades can also be washed gently, as others have already described. We dipped our day/night shades in a large barrel of soapy water and hung them on a rack I made, so we could run a soft brush over the pleats to loosen and rinse away several years of grime. Then drip dry.

Guessing you are talking about pleated curtains in the windshield?  I just took mine down and took them to the dry cleaners.  They looked almost new and POUNDS of dust and dirt must have come out in the cleaning process...they were dingy and dark and when they got back they were crisp, clean, and a lovely IVORY color.  Who knew?!  Worth every penny.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom