Sponsored by Winnebago Industries

Author Topic: Headliner Project  (Read 149 times)

sgkane

• ---
Headliner Project
« on: August 24, 2017, 07:01:26 AM »
Like others our headliner started coming down and we kept ours up with either thumbtacks or staples.  The foam backing seems to start deteriorating then separates from the vinyl. Its a project I hope I never have to do again and I couldn't have done it without the help from my brother.
After removing the vinyl the foam stays up. All this foam had to come off. Its really a messy job, I used a big wire brush and was able to get down to bare wood. We glued the new vinyl up with a 3M spray vinyl adhesive and trimmed it out with a cherry molding.
Also should note that in our case the replacement vinyl is no longer available but Lichtsinn was able to find an alternative that is almost a perfect match (color is dead on, texture ever so slightly different).
I'm very happy not to have a sagging ceiling and very happy this project is behind us.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 07:09:10 AM by sgkane »
2004 Itasca Horizon 40AD

ChasA

• ---
Re: Headliner Project
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 07:15:03 AM »
Nice work.
Apex, NC
2010 Winnebago journey Express 34Y (pre DEF)
2007 Saturn Vue

catblaster

• ---
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 08:16:01 AM »
   Good Job, let us know how it holds up. I used to brag on the 3M adhesive until my last project, it came off in spots after a year of temperature cycling. When I told my problem to an auto upholsterer he said to use spray contact cement. I redid it and now holding up like it should. Hope yours stays in place.
Will and Jane
95 Winnebago Luxor

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Jane and John's Internet Home
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 08:24:12 AM »
Wow, that's a bunch of work. I like the way you used plastic sheeting to protect the interior, great job!
--John
2005 Horizon 40AD, 2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

sgkane

• ---
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 08:42:12 AM »
Wow, that's a bunch of work. I like the way you used plastic sheeting to protect the interior, great job!
Even with all the plastic sheeting and taping after a couple weeks we are still finding little bits of foam.  :)
2004 Itasca Horizon 40AD

Hosted by Over The Network