Headliner Project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sgkane

Like others our headliner started coming down and we kept ours up with either thumbtacks or staples.  The foam backing seems to start deteriorating then separates from the vinyl. Its a project I hope I never have to do again and I couldn't have done it without the help from my brother.
After removing the vinyl the foam stays up. All this foam had to come off. Its really a messy job, I used a big wire brush and was able to get down to bare wood. We glued the new vinyl up with a 3M spray vinyl adhesive and trimmed it out with a cherry molding.
Also should note that in our case the replacement vinyl is no longer available but Lichtsinn was able to find an alternative that is almost a perfect match (color is dead on, texture ever so slightly different).
I'm very happy not to have a sagging ceiling and very happy this project is behind us.

Attachments

• image1 (3).jpeg
    image1 (3).jpeg
    55.7 KB · Views: 68
  • image2 (2).jpeg
    image2 (2).jpeg
    64.8 KB · Views: 61
  • image3 (2).jpeg
    image3 (2).jpeg
    56.3 KB · Views: 60
  • image7 (2).jpeg
    image7 (2).jpeg
    88.9 KB · Views: 72
  • image9 (2).jpeg
    image9 (2).jpeg
    66.7 KB · Views: 70
  Good Job, let us know how it holds up. I used to brag on the 3M adhesive until my last project, it came off in spots after a year of temperature cycling. When I told my problem to an auto upholsterer he said to use spray contact cement. I redid it and now holding up like it should. Hope yours stays in place.

John Canfield said:
Wow, that's a bunch of work. I like the way you used plastic sheeting to protect the interior, great job!
Even with all the plastic sheeting and taping after a couple weeks we are still finding little bits of foam.  :)

Back
Top Bottom