2004 Winni Suitable For Alaska Trip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pojo

My SO and I would like to drive to Alaska from Michigan. Should I be concerned in making the trip in a 2004 Winnebago Adventurer? It has a W22 Workhorse chassis with 36,000 mi. on it. I would have no concerns about taking off for Florida (1200 mi) with it, but Alaska will be over 10,000 miles round trip! Maybe I'm just paranoid!   

36,000 miles on a 13 year old coach is awful low miles. The question you are asking depends a lot on the maintenance the MH has had, right now I would be concerned about belts, hoses, tires and other items that deteriorate with age. The 8.1L engine is a very reliable engine but does not like to sit. I wouldn't hesitate taking a MH with over a 100,000 miles on that trip if it has been properly maintained and driven regularly. Only you know the maintenance your coach has received so only you can make the determination as to whether you could make the trip.

Check it out and go! They fix motorhomes up there also, not really the wilderness. Great trip, 4 summers, we really enjoyed it. And ours was a 1998, but it was not old then!

Shouldn't be a problem, I've got 87,000 miles on my W22 with 8.1 engine.

If they haven't been changed already I would replace the belts, hoses, plugs and wires. Clean the MAF.

How old are the tires? 

What pressure do you set your tires at?

Obviously you should see to coach and chassis maintenance to get it up to snuff, but I see no reason why you shouldn't make the trip.  Definitely make sure the tires are in good shape for that 10k mile trip.

A coach with low miles like that may have been neglected a bit on maintenance, since most people think in terms of miles rather than years. However, rubber ages and metal corrodes, so something need maintenance based simply on time. Tires are a key example - it is conceivable you still have 2004 tires at 36k miles, but a 13 year old tire is a time bomb just a few ticks from "zero".

I bought the coach used and it only had 11,000 mi. Had the brake recall done as soon as I got it home. Not knowing how well the original owner took care of maintenance, I had the transmission serviced at the same time. I put all new Michelin Tires on it, and they are now 6 years old, and look brand new. The coach is stored inside. We have only put 25,000 mi. on it in 6 years, but I am retiring at the end of the month. This is what we have been waiting for.  MAF sensor was replaced in SD 3 years ago.  I have never touched the plugs and wires, but  I will do that before the trip. Even though the tires look good, I think I may put new fronts on, and take the existing fronts as spares. I will be pulling my 2015 Colorado on the trip.

To answer the tire pressure question, I run 90# in the fronts and 95# in the rears. This is based on the weight on each axle when we are fully loaded.   

Since you have experience with this coach, go for it.  If you had just bought it then no, but that is not the case. 

We took our 2006 Winnebago Sightseer in 2016 on a 4 1/2 month trip to AK and had no problems.  As others said earlier there are places to get repairs in the remote chance you have a problem.

Just don't make this a rush trip of only 2 months to go from the lower 48 to AK and back.  Leave plenty of time to have a relaxed trip.

If you are interested, here is a link to the blog of our AK trip:  http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/2017/01/alaska-trip-index-april-26september-6.html

I do the same thing you do.  If I put 10,000 miles on it in local trips I would never expect it to have a major issue BUT if I headed to Alaska my mind would be full of every possible thing that could go wrong.  In local trips I wouldn't even notice I had put 10,000 miles on it.

Of, course I don't know if you are going to have an issue or not but I am certain you aren't going to see much of Alaska in your living room! ;D

I do agree with new tires and belts etc!

Enjoy!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom