5th Wheel Leveling Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dbFL

First time venturing outside of FL and we hit a site that was not so level. I did my normal routine of dropping front jacks and unhooking the truck and setting the 5er to AUTOLEVEL. Got the message OUT OF STROKE so I moved my leveling blocks around 15-20 times in various positions with no luck. Ended up manually leveling it after 2 hours of work.

Surely I did something wrong, looking for tips to make leveling a bit easier next time maybe don't drop the front jacks all the way to ground before setting autolevel sequence so the front end naturally sits lower?

thanks!!

If you are out of stroke, the jacks can not extend far enough to get the rig level.  Raise the jacks.  Add blocks under the jacks and / or drop the extensions farther and try again.  You may be able to determine which jack(s) are out of stroke, and add blocking there first.

Yah, it's just a learning curve. I bottomed out the landing gear (retracted as much as possible) twice last year. Once was close enough but the other time I had to raise it back up, hook up the truck, and readjust everything.

Here is a question for anyone.  As a general rule how far do the front jacks extend or retract if not blocked at all  I know maybe not all manufactures are the same.  How about Keystone Laredos?

We have a Keystone Fuzion fifth wheel. Total guess on my part, but I would say the front landing jacks extend maybe 24 inches. But as a fairly newbie, we've found the more you extend them, the more movement you feel inside. So we try to limit how far we extend them by blocking them as much as we can.

Boonieman said:
We've found the more you extend them, the more movement you feel inside. So we try to limit how far we extend them by blocking them as much as we can.

Wow, you know it never occurred to me that would cause movement but that makes total sense.

Update on the original post, we're up here in Asheville now and I had much better luck leveling this time around. I'm learning to scope out the site by eye before setting my blocks. Got her leveled on the 1st try

Boonieman said:
We have a Keystone Fuzion fifth wheel. Total guess on my part, but I would say the front landing jacks extend maybe 24 inches. But as a fairly newbie, we've found the more you extend them, the more movement you feel inside. So we try to limit how far we extend them by blocking them as much as we can.

One word: SteadyFast - www.steadyfast.com - worth its weight in gold!

dbFL,  As we do a lot of boondocking, we rarely ever find a level spot. We carry 4 - 6x8 blocks about a foot long, placed wherever needed to achieve level. And, as earlier stated... the less ram extended,the more stable the unit!    memtb

Back
Top Bottom