Why was a topic locked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BobX2

Is camping world a site sponsor here? Why are the threads locked when it is brought up that they no longer want our business? I know this one will end up locked as well, but I think we are at least owed an explanation as to why this is taboo here.

Because our all-volunteer forum staff takes great care in letting people state their opinions with civility and respect.  When a topic becomes too personal or insulting, they lock it down tight.  I, for one, appreciate their diplomacy very much.  It is what makes this forum a friendly forum.

Because you're not a forum staff member that can start a politically charged topic ;D

Besides it's safe to say roughly 1/2 feel one way and 1/2 feel the other. I know how I feel and that's good enough for me. The rest of you are just wrong. :D

[quote author=BobX2]Is camping world a site sponsor here?[/quote]

Nope, never have been, but it wouldn't change our response if they were.

Why are the threads locked when it is brought up that they no longer want our business? ... I think we are at least owed an explanation as to why this is taboo here.

Only one such topic was locked because, as explained by a forum staffer, the topic had run its course. Some folks were attempting to turn it into a politically charged discussion, which would violate our forum rules that we all agreed to when registering for an account here.

[quote author=JackL]WHY didn't you put a tad more info in your title ?[/quote]

Good question Jack. I modified the subject line.

A bit of forum history:
This forum originally was the RV-Forum on Compuserve Information Service back when H&R Block owned it.. The "Founding members" were, for the most part Long term CIS members who remember the "Good old days" when access was as much as $60.00 an hour and you used Dial Up modems 300 Baud.. I paid $6.00/hr for "After hours" access back when I was 73455,43.  I Eventually found how to minimize my connect time, then they gave me so many mintues for $9.95 or something like that per month and I usually kept within that limit.. But you did not waste time in a flame war. because at $60.00/hr.. FLAME WARS WERE EXPENSIVE.

CIS went through some major changes. They moved off the old vintage PDP computers to Windows boxes and opened themselves up to the NET and then got sold to AOL and well CIS is kind of like the Old Gray Mare (NOT what she used to be many long years ago).

So the forum "Jumped ship"

BUt when thigns get heated, they still tend to get shut down quickly.. Because many of us remember when FLAME WARS WERE EXPENSIVE.

And some of us have even seen a forum KILLED by flame wars.. I know,, I turned out the lights (Well technically Merzi did but I was the last member out the door).

Roy M said:
X2 Feelings are pretty strong on both sides of the debate. Besides, Marcus has his own forum

All traces of any discussion about Marcus's statement has been removed from his site. Would anyone expect any different? The moderators here did and do a great job on this site. I think Tom ought to give them another raise. ;D

I'm not sure about John's explanation, but I gave the reason why the subject topic was locked. Meanwhile, if anyone is interested in our forum history, click the About button in the menu and scroll down to History of the RV Forum, based on my 24 years on forum staff.

[quote author=kdbgoat]I think Tom ought to give them another raise.[/quote]

That would give us a real cash flow issue  ;D

As a forum moderator myself on a couple of forums, it's sometimes an unpopular decision to shut down a thread.  Basically, if and when insults start to fly, or the discussion is based on religion or politics, they generally don't last too long.  Our forum rules are very clear and concise on not starting threads on those two topics, and also very clear about treating people with respect......and if you are a member of those forums (these are motorcycle related, not camping/RV related forums by the way), you have agreed to abide by the forum rules when you register.  So this forum is no different than many forums which prohibit political or religious discussion.  I probably am a bit too lenient at times, and and have allowed some threads to run that maybe shouldn't have, mostly because everyone was playing nicely.  The instant that it turns the other way  though, the padlock gets put on and that thread is closed.

I can say from experience, the moderators have a mostly thankless job that lends you to be a "good guy" one minute and a "bad guy" the next....depending on what your actions are/were.

So a hats off to the Admin and Mod staff here for a job well done everyone.  Keep up the good work!.

Sun2Retire said:
Another?!....

A 20% raise from nothing is still nothing ... we're all volunteers here, except Tom.  And he's on the hook for all the expenses not covered by the small amount of advertising income and voluntary donations (there's a Donate button at the top of the page if you're so inclined).  ;)

Because we don't come here to argue politics!! ;D

Thanks for blocking!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom