Diesel decisions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mickey G

I have 2 Ford F350 pick up's to choose from.
1 is a 2005 Dually with a 7.2 diesel and the other one is a Single Rear Wheel with a 6.0 diesel.
Both trucks show 160,000 miles.
I will be pulling a 30' 5th wheel, roughly 11,000 lbs.
Would either diesel be ok, or should I opt for one in particular?
I have previousley owned both along the line, and I liked both motors, but I never pulled a 5th wheel with one.

Get the dually.  The Ford 6.0 was garbage especially so in the early years.

Yup get the dually  - There is no such thing as too much truck.

You may have a 30 footer now but someday you could upgrade.  Get the bigger truck.

Mickey G said:
I have 2 Ford F350 pick up's to choose from.
1 is a 2005 Dually with a 7.2 diesel and the other one is a Single Rear Wheel with a 6.0 diesel.
Both trucks show 160,000 miles.
I will be pulling a 30' 5th wheel, roughly 11,000 lbs.
Would either diesel be ok, or should I opt for one in particular?
I have previousley owned both along the line, and I liked both motors, but I never pulled a 5th wheel with one.

You've got me confused.  Are you referring to the 7.3 Diesel that Ford used that was built by International Harvester?  And if so, they stopped using that engine when the 6.0 came out during the 2003 model year.  A 2005 should have a 6.0 in it.....unless there has been some sort of engine transplant.

Avoid the 6.0.  There's a reason they sell for so much less than other trucks.

Google 'known problems with Ford 6.0 diesels'.

If I remember right the early 2003s had the 7.3

I made a mistake. These aren't 6.0's, they are 6.4's. Would this matter? Most people say stay away from the 6.0's. I honestly never heard of a 6.4.

I drove a 7.3 for 15 years.  When the 6.0 came out they were touted as the greatest thing since sliced bread.  Turned out to not be true.  The 6.4 was better but I'm not sure how much better..  maybe someone who has direct experience will chip in.

8Muddypaws said:
Avoid the 6.0.  There's a reason they sell for so much less than other trucks.

Google 'known problems with Ford 6.0 diesels'.

If I remember right the early 2003s had the 7.3

Thus the reason I said During the 2003 model year!  At any rate, a 2005 certainly wouldn't have been a 7.3 unless someone transplanted a 7.3 in it.  And yes, I would definitely stay away from the 6.0 anything.....even if it's been "bulletproofed".....too risky in my opinion.

The 6.4L 6.7L Ford diesel is a different engine than the earlier 6.0L. It's a strictly Ford engine and distinct from the problematic 6.0L that Ford got from Navistar's International division. There are no unusual concerns with the 6.4L Powerstroke.

Edit: My bad - I mixed up the 6.4L with the later 6.7L

The SRW should be fine for that trailer, but that's about the max for an SRW.  Heavier trailers generally need a dually to provide extra pin weight capacity.

Unlike some others here, I do believe you can have "too much truck". Not too much for trailer hauling, maybe, but too much for non-hauling transportation duties. There is more to life than having the biggest & meanest truck on the block.  ;)

The 6.4 is just an enlarged 6.0.  From the first 6.0 to the final 6.4, there were improvements each year, but I wouldn't want any of them.  The first engine designed and built by Ford is the 6.7, and it is much better.

xrated said:
And yes, I would definitely stay away from the 6.0 anything.....even if it's been "bulletproofed".....too risky in my opinion.

There are a bunch of Ford guys out there that would disagree with you. Once properly bulletproofed, those 6.0s can be very reliable, and last a long time. They can be modified to produce great gobs of horsepower reliably too. I had one local guy tell me he's running 1400 horsepower in his daily driver. I called him on that until he pulled three dyno sheets out of his console. That was a couple of years ago, and I saw him in his truck about two months ago, still going strong. That turbo/exhaust whine he's got would drive me nuts though.

kdbgoat said:
There are a bunch of Ford guys out there that would disagree with you. Once properly bulletproofed, those 6.0s can be very reliable, and last a long time. They can be modified to produce great gobs of horsepower reliably too. I had one local guy tell me he's running 1400 horsepower in his daily driver. I called him on that until he pulled three dyno sheets out of his console. That was a couple of years ago, and I saw him in his truck about two months ago, still going strong. That turbo/exhaust whine he's got would drive me nuts though.

And the highlighted portion above, is where I would be worrying.  I don't know near enough about engines in general and diesels in particular to know if it was done properly or not.  And I certainly ain't going to tear it down or have it torn down to verify what is there before I buy it, thus the reason I would stay away from one.  And I suspect there are more people like me that know nothing about them than there are folks that do know about them.

What do you all mean when you say "Make sure it's been bulletproofed?"

https://www.google.com/search?q=bullet+proofing+a+ford+6.0&oq=bullet+proofing+a+ford+6.0&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l4.8306j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom