replacing a 454 big block for 1984 vogue 2 motor home

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mule1966

I have a 1984 motor home I live in northeast Arkansas. I can turn over the motor and it will run for a few minutes, this is with extra boost from another source other than the home boost. I had a friend look at it, plus our local RV center. One mechanic stated he would look at taking the oil pan off and checking the main shaft, plus rod bearings. problem he stated you have to take all the main parts from the under courage to get to the oil pan to drop it. any suggestions ? can not see how the motor can come out of the front?

Thanks Don

It sounds like some more trouble shooting is in order. Are you sure the charging system is working? If the alternator is kaput the battery will run down killing the spark. Is your oil pressure good? That would rule out bottom end problems. Does it smoke and use oil? Did anybody run a compression test? The 454 is a strong engine and should go many trouble free miles.
You are right, that would be a bear to get out. It may come through the front once the bumper and grille are removed. It may have to drop through the bottom meaning the axle comes off. The only other alternative is up and out the door which would require an engine hoist with a long reach.

Back
Top Bottom