Blown converter fuse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr_Green

Apologies for the double post. It should have gone here first.

We just obtained a new to us 1998 jayco eagle. The previous owner said that the inside lights have never worked during his ownership.

When I got home I installed a battery and the lights turn on. When plugged into shore I have power to outlets but no 12v power from the converter. I opened it up and discovered the Internal fuse was blown. I replaced the fuse, and as soon as I applied shore power, sparks fly from converter and fuse blows. I removed the battery and disconnected all 12v out lines from the converter, installed new fuse and it blew again the instant shore power was applied. Is it safe to assume that the converter is bad or could I be missing something?

Welcome to The RV Forum!

I moved your other posting in the Tent Trailer section out of sight so all of the replies will be here instead of being split between the two threads.

My first thought was you may have had the battery connected backwards, but if the converter fuse blows with the output wires disconnected it sure sounds like the converter is bad.

What make and model is it?  Knowing what kind you have now will go a long way towards determining if it can be repaired or if it just needs replacing.

What converter do you have and are you sure the battery is properly installed?

Suggestion. DISCONNECT (pysically) the battery, and see if sparks strill fly, IF The Negative wire and insulare irt)  Then try again. if sparks still fly you need a new converter.. If no sparks measuere voltage ar barreeries.

Some convrerters... Well they do strange things...

But do tell us the make and model.

It is a cs 2000 if that helps?
No battery connected at all beyond inital connection when I wanted to confirm that the 12v sysytem had any level of function.  So no battery installed and 12v loads disconnected from the board, still fries the fuse as soon as 120v power is applied. 

Sounds like I have my answer... I bet these are not cheap either :-/

The CS 2000 is not known for long term reliability, so a failure is not surprising. If you Google CS 2000, you will find many reports like yours.

Best Converter has a replacement for the CS 3000, so maybe that would work for yours as well. Might be overkill, but that's not a problem if it fits ok.
http://www.bestconverter.com/Centurion-CS-3000-Replacement-_c_63.html

I bought my Progressive Dynamics 4655 at Best 3 years ago for around $150 iirc. It included the fuse panel and also has the boost button for 14.4 volt charging. Depending on which batteries you use and how much dry camping you do they also offer the Boondocker model which charges at 14.6 v and some models that will do 14.8 v which is suggested by Trojan for some of their batteries.  Now is the time to evaluate your RV power needs before choosing a converter. I wouldn't buy WFCO.

Back
Top Bottom