Dumping holding tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mickey G

Does anyone use, or has anyone heard of TANK TECH'S?
It seems they are saying NOT to fully drain your holding tanks.
Checking all of the questions and answers on their sight
(www.tanktechs.com), make it sound like this is the best tank additive around. GUARENTEED.
What is you opinion, and what do you use?

^x2^ I give my gray tank(s) a good rinsing out with freshwater every fall too.

As soon as you finish dumping the tank put 5 gallons of water back in the black tank. That keeps everything from drying out down there just in case some solids did not get flushed out.At the end of the season I take it to a dump station close to home that I know has a slight slope towards the drivers side which allows all the solids including the TP to come out easily.

We dumped at a campground this year that sloped towards the passenger side and even though I have a tank rinser and closed the valve several times allowing the tank to partially fill it would not drain all the water and solids out. After 15 minutes of that there was still toilet paper and dirty water coming out through the clear elbow and I gave up and stopped on the way home at the dump station I mentioned earlier and it was clean almost immediately. Probably had 5 gallons that wouldn't drain at the other park.

From my understanding, if you use Tank Tech Additive, there will be no solids to be rinsed out. The Tank Tech Guarantees to turn all solids into liquids.

Given enough time water will do the same thing, however these are holding tanks not septic tanks. And even septic tanks have a settling tank that has to be emptied every few years.

But if you think there might be some truth to there claims just put a clear elbow on your sewer hose. They sell them at Walmart for about $6 and really let you know when your tanks are clean and how "dissolved" things are when they come out.

Truthfully, it is not hard to completely rinse all solids out of the tank so I don't know what the benefit would be. The folks I know without a tank rinser either just pour a bucket of fresh water down the toilet or use a wand attachment to do the rinsing. No additives or perfumes needed.

It seems like a lot of time and effort is spent turning a simple process into something very complicated.

Keymastr, we have a friend that was constantly having problems with his tanks draining completely. He got into the habit of pulling onto a 4x4 on the opposite side, which solved the problem.

Use tank chemicals if you like, but water and natural bacteria alone will turn everything organic into a slurry within a few days, so additional chemicals are really unnecessary.  Don't over-think the tank dumping thing, or the need for rinsing either. It's nowhere near as worrisome as the internet babble might lead you to believe.

Mickey G said:
From my understanding, if you use Tank Tech Additive, there will be no solids to be rinsed out. The Tank Tech Guarantees to turn all solids into liquids.

Water does the same thing, given enough time.  And, RV waste systems are designed to flush solids out (note the 4" diameter exit pipe)... as long as you use enough water to have that backpressure and downward flushing force.

Checking out the Tank Techs website, it looks like their tank treatment product is simply their own blend of enzymes that probably speed up the bacteria/breakdown/liquefying process.  Any number of other products will do the same thing if you really think you need it.  Rid-X or similar is a common one mentioned here.

Did we mention that water is free?  ;)

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Use tank chemicals if you like, but water and natural bacteria alone will turn everything organic into a slurry within a few days, so additional chemicals are really unnecessary.  Don't over-think the tank dumping thing, or the need for rinsing either. It's nowhere near as worrisome as the internet babble might lead you to believe.

Correct, you can also find the guy on youtube who made his own (mock up) and used a clear (Black tank) and did the "put in ice and drive around" tip people recommend.

He debunked the idea. It didnt work.

Triple Slide Jayco said:
Correct, you can also find the guy on youtube who made his own (mock up) and used a clear (Black tank) and did the "put in ice and drive around" tip people recommend.

He debunked the idea. It didnt work.
I have had several poop pyramids in RVs that I have bought. The ice theory is a joke. The poop pyramid is a hard as a rock and the ice is as soft as ice. The poop always wins.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom