Best tape?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcCarolina

I had a frameless window break on my Bay Hill fifth wheel and covered it with Reflectix and duct tape  for the dirve home. I took off the duct tape for the glass co to measure for replacement and spent quite a while removing the duct tape residue with bug and tar remover. What kind of tape can I use to re-cover the window until the glass is relaced? Is duct tape the only option? I expect that the trailer will not be used until the glass is replaced but it is outside and I need to cover the window to keep out the rain.

Thanks!

I assume you used Duck tape, and not foil duct tape.....
Gorilla tape would be similar to Duck....but more tenacious....

As an option, I'd suppose you could use a clear packing tape perhaps, to at least let some light in and look maybe a bit better

But I think pretty much anything that will stick is likely to leave some of its mastic behind....
no matter, because goo-gone or similar will take it right off....

Glass shop gave me some of this ... says to remove in 24 hours, but think that is for the customer after a window replacement.  I've had it on much longer without issues, very, very little cleanup if at all.  Also is perforated ever 8 inches, at least on the roll I have.

http://www.westernglasssupply.com/proddetail.asp?prod=GOR1226&cat=52

Howard

The better quality brands of duct tape usually leave little residue, e.g. 3M or Scotch brand. They cost a bit more but save effort. The Duck brand of tapes are mostly pretty decent products, but again the cheapest basic ones are more likely to leave a sticky residue or tear when you remove them. Try the original Duck Tape or the Advanced Strength version that is supposed to be easy to remove for temporary repairs.

But even with adhesive  residue, it's mostly a matter of finding the right solvent to remove it. Bug & Tar remover probably wasn't the best choice. Something like Goo-Gone would likely have worked, but sometimes lacquer thinner or acetone is even easier. Since its glass and will be replaced anyway, you need not worry about chemical damage to it.

Here's another vote for gorilla tape and goo gone. I recently had a side window blow out in my Jeep Rubicon topper (no remaining glass at all). Repaired with black trash bags and gorilla tape (duct tape wouldn't hold more than a few minutes) and towed it 3, 000 miles before having it replaced.  Cleaned up easily with goo gone after.

Ernie

Thanks for the replies and suggesitons. We're not expecting rain for the next day or two so I did a quick cover  with the piece of Reflectix and Frog painters tape - heading to Lowes to find the low residue 3M or Scotch duct tape. The glass replacement and install will be around $250. I'm using a regional glass company - the RV collision center near me would have to replace the entire window frame at around $700. Hopefully the glass co will be able to re-install the glass correctly! (Pic is of the damage, not the cover!)

Attachments

• IMG_6277.JPG
    IMG_6277.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 18
Glass is simple enough to replace in nearly all RV windows of the sliding or fixed types, but body shops either don't do it or send it out to a glass shop. Awning windows take a bit more fussing, but I've done those myself as well.

Start when plain old alcohol for removing tape glue residue.

When you're done drinking... the work goes faster. LOL! ;D

No kidding, start with plain alcohol. You might be truly surprised how much gunk will come off with that at a fraction of the cost.

If you can't get it all then try lacquer thinner next. Be super careful with acetone, I took some paint off with that, and um, it was paint I wanted to keep!

Bought a small used fridge a couple of days ago. PO had apparently taped the door shut at some point in the past. I tried alcohol, acetone, and paint thinner. None of them worked. Then I got out the Totally Awesome cleaner from Dollar Tree. The tape residue came right off!! I mean, it was TOTALLY AWESOME!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoeHoward
Back
Top Bottom