Tires..to LT or not LT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishstik

Just bought myself a 1996 25 or 26 ft (not sure) Tioga Montara Class C. Its def going to need new tires.It currently has LT22575R16,s I have read the LT,s have a higher load rating and run at a higher pressure,but also have a rougher ride than non LT,s
Opinions??....Thanks

Ride quality can be influenced by tire stiffness but also by air pressure.  The higher the pressure the stiffer the ride.  But also to carry heavier loads you need higher air pressure. 
Look at the sticker on the driver's door post and it will show what size and type of tire the chassis manufacturer has specified to carry the load.  On a class C you will most likely have to stick with LT tires to get the necessary load carrying capability.

Yesterday, I just replaced my tires.  Same size as yours and I went with LT because that's what was on it original equipment.  They were 4.5 yrs. old with 19k on them.  Started to feel some shaking in the steering wheel and vibration in the seats.  Air pressure has always been properly maintained.  Surprised that there was some cracking that my tire guru pointed out.  Glad he pointed it out so that he could replace all them prior to me heading out again.  Good luck.

IMO you really don't have any other option. Passenger tires must be derated by about 10% for service on your RV making it very difficult to find them that would fit and provide the load capacity of the LT tires.

Do not lower the vehicle manufacturer's recommended inflation pressures for ride quality. Those recommendations are minimal safe recommendations for your vehicle.

fishstik said:
What brand of tire did you buy?

I bought Michelins.  They were original and gave a very decent ride.  I considered other brands but my wanted what I felt was the best ride.  Also, I agree with FastEagle.......keep the air pressure at what is recommended.

I put P rated Michelins on my Expedition.  Sure the ride was soft but I burned through them in 22,000 miles.  Went to Dunlop LTs and got well over 40,000 miles before we traded.

fishstik said:
Just bought myself a 1996 25 or 26 ft (not sure) Tioga Montara Class C. Its def going to need new tires.It currently has LT22575R16,s I have read the LT,s have a higher load rating and run at a higher pressure,but also have a rougher ride than non LT,s

I don't think non-LT's would be available for an RV of that size... and if so, passenger tires would be near their limit at all times.  Go with the LT.

There are endless debates on what the "best" tire brand might be, and I'd say any major brand (or even off-brands made by major companies, such as Mastercraft made by Cooper and often sold at Firestone tire shops!) should be fine.  Tire maintenance, most often maintaining the correct PSI, is more important for tire health than make/model.  Toyo makes a good LT line that is used pretty often on RV's.

Stay away from any "P" rated tire. They are rated at 4 plys and normally have a max press rating of 44psi. Think "P" equals "passenger car". "LT" tires (light truck) are available as "C" (6 ply rated,max press 50 psi), "D" (8 ply rated, max press 65 psi), "E" (10 ply rated, 80 psi max press). There are further ratings up through "F", "G". and so forth. The tread design on these tires can play a significant part in the overall ride, handling, noise, etc. You need to look at treads that are more attuned to those found on cars. Stay away from heavy, lugged treads that are more inline with off roading, etc.

2kGeorgieBoy said:
Stay away from any "P" rated tire. They are rated at 4 plys and normally have a max press rating of 44psi. Think "P" equals "passenger car". "LT" tires (light truck) are available as "C" (6 ply rated,max press 50 psi), "D" (8 ply rated, max press 65 psi), "E" (10 ply rated, 80 psi max press). There are further ratings up through "F", "G". and so forth. The tread design on these tires can play a significant part in the overall ride, handling, noise, etc. You need to look at treads that are more attuned to those found on cars. Stay away from heavy, lugged treads that are more inline with off roading, etc.

I just put 6 Hankook 10 ply (E Rating) Dynapro At-M's on mine.  Now I would have agreed with 2kGeorgieboy about the lugs but I bought these on a recommendation and have found them a better ride than the Goodyear Wrangler HT's that I had on.  I suspect they are a softer compound.  They are not the most aggressive Hankook tread but not a highway tire.  It was an emergency on the road replacement.  My mechanic suggested I put the "HT" (highway tire) on the front next time BUT I can rotate these.

Definitely agree about the pressure.  Don't run them below the recommended level for comfort!!  oh and you don't want P rated tires

Oh and for goodness sake call around - we had to buy these tires in Rapid City (Had a spare on that shouldn't have made it a mile) and found $400 difference in the out the door price.  We were $805 for 6 tires out the door!

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

I have read the LT,s have a higher load rating and run at a higher pressure,but also have a rougher ride than non LT,s
Opinions??....

Relative to "P" (Passenger) tires, that's true, but P tires are a poor choice for any trailer application. The practical alternative to LT tires on your trailer is an ST (Special Trailer) type tire. Compared to ST, and LT is less stiff and lower in load rating. However, ST tires have a lower speed rating than an LT of the same size, so there is a trade-off.

The pressure the tire runs at is related to its load (weight) carrying capacity, not whether it is P, LT or ST.

It is highly unlikely the original tires on that trailer were LT, so it is probably that a former owner changed from ST to LT.  To be sure he did a proper job of that changeover, I suggest you verify that the LT225/75R16's max load rating (embossed on the sidewall) is adequate for your trailer axle weight rating. If it is, stick with that size and type.

Addendum: See comments later in this topic. I missed that he has a Class C. No ST tires there!

Gary- He's got a class C.
No way would I run P rated tires on mine. LT's all the way. P rated on a class C shouldn't even be considered.

kdbgoat said:
No way would I run P rated tires on mine. LT's all the way. P rated on a class C shouldn't even be considered.

Ditto.  Gary must have missed that.

kdbgoat said:

A reputable dealer wouldn't put them on - I don't believe they make one that would handle the weight but I could be wrong.

To the OP: you have a truck. Go to a reputable dealer that specializes in truck tires. They'll made sure that you get the right tires and they are installed correctly.

Tires are an investment that will last at least 7 years for the average motorhome user. That's a long time to live with an expensive mistake.

I was sort of leaning toward Discount or NTB...but would I be better off going with a truck tire type store. I know some of your recommendations are based on use. I am not really an RVer. I bought this thing to take to the dragstrip (my son and I race) and 2-3 camping trips maybe a Jimmy Buffett concert, 

You can use a store like discount. You have a MH built on a regular truck chassis. Although I can get tires where I work, I opt'd to use Discount Tire and went with BF Goodrich Commercial TA's. I decided that since we were going to be traveling cross country, with all of the DT stores available, if I had a problem, I would stand a better chance of being able to get warranty service. (Yes, I bought their "certificates" or whatever they call the insurance now). I carry a spare mounted on a rim so I would not be stuck on the side of the road waiting for help.

fishstik said:
I was sort of leaning toward Discount or NTB...but would I be better off going with a truck tire type store. I know some of your recommendations are based on use. I am not really an RVer. I bought this thing to take to the dragstrip (my son and I race) and 2-3 camping trips maybe a Jimmy Buffett concert,
It don't really matter what you use it for. The tires HAVE to be capable of handling the load put on them.

Oh, and if you are going to be pulling a trailer with it, make sure the frame is constructed good enough to do so. I broke a frame on a 79 GMC Gimmy 24 fter about 15 years ago. NO FUN when that happens.

I managed to get a set of 6 Pirelli 10 plys (E rating) from NTB for 800 bucks out the door. Will let yall know how I like them.
And thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom