AC Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rshafedog

I am having a problem with my front AC unit on my 2005 Bounder. Whether shore power or generator, when I turn the unit on it seems as though the fan runs just fine for a few seconds but when the compressor kicks in it draws the power down to the point of actually almost killing my generator.  I may have the issue backwards with regard to compressor versus fan (please forgive my ignorance). The point is at first it sounds fine and then I hear another component turn on and draw the power down. Also smells bad. I turn it off immediately. Back unit is fine.
I'm thinking I need to replace the entire unit but after reading several posts it looks like I need to start out checking to  see if the fan blade is froze and maybe just some maintenance. Any suggestions?

First thing to check is a bad start capacitor on the a/c unit. That component acts as a booster to help get the compressor started and failure (blown capacitor) is a fairly common problem. Replacements are readily available on Amazon, Ebay and RV supply stores (online and maybe local ones too). It's an easy enough DIY inspection & change if you can get up on the roof and don't mind opening up the covers of the a/c and an internal metal box that holds it.

Other than fan capacitors and filters I don't know a lot on AC's.  That said, when you say it smells bad do you mean bad as in musty, or like burned wires...electrical.  I had a similar issue with my AC on my TT.  It smelled like something electrical burning and acted like your unit...kind of.  I found that a wing nut had come loose on the circuit board.  That caused a lot of arcing and burned the control board.  A circuit board replacement got me back in business.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lmw
Back
Top Bottom