Advice on buying a camper van

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kpsf

Hello, I am going to look at a 2001 Ford E150 GTRV. It has about 78,000 miles.  The owner is asking $19,500 which seems fair for the San Francisco area. Do forum members think this is a good price? What questions should I ask the owner?  If I get serious I will take it to a mechanic to have it checked out. Thanks for your help.

It is hard to give an opinion without a lot more details.  Personally I would look for one on a 3/4 ton chassis not a 1/2 ton chassis (E250 / Chevy 2500 vs E150 1/2 ton)

GTRV is a camper van similar to a Sportsmobile. It is made in Sebastapol CA.  The van has had one owner and has been garaged. It has a pop top, fridge, stove, bench seat that turns into a bed, lots of storage, porta potty, 2 deep batteries.  Pictures show van as neat and clean.

kpsf said:
Hello, I am going to look at a 2001 Ford E150 GTRV. It has about 78,000 miles.  The owner is asking $19,500 which seems fair for the San Francisco area. Do forum members think this is a good price? What questions should I ask the owner?  If I get serious I will take it to a mechanic to have it checked out. Thanks for your help.
For that much money you can buy a heck of a nice real RV. If you buy that one you will probably want to trade up for something with a bit of room within a year and you will take a major financial loss. Here is one that is newer, bigger and nicer for the same price:

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/classa/2002-Itasca-Sunova-36932.htm

Really hard to say.  I see prices for that ~age and ~mileage going from $10k to $20k.  Only can recommend that you look at several of them in person and go from there.

B's are "real" RV's and for some people larger is not better.  All is a very personal choice.

Purchased a '90 Airstream B190 yesterday, class b, 19', 460 ci, should do everything I need for an old guy and his 1st rv,

SeilerBird said:
For that much money you can buy a heck of a nice real RV. If you buy that one you will probably want to trade up for something with a bit of room within a year and you will take a major financial loss. Here is one that is newer, bigger and nicer for the same price:

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/classa/2002-Itasca-Sunova-36932.htm

Speaking as one who has had several large class A motorhomes and other RVs,  and downsized to a class B, that would be a consideration, but it really depends on the person and use. There are many advantages to a class B, we are half way through a two month trip and quite happy with our B.

Back
Top Bottom