refrig not cooling properly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dabrown

have a jayco class c refrig. have tried propane and elect. both and the lowest it will go is 50 degrees,  out side temp is 80  low Freon? dabrown

RV fridges, unless they are a residential model, don't have Freon.
The first thing-how are you measuring the temp? Either a remote temp monitor or a pocket thermometer in a small amount of water in a small glass works the best. The temp inside will climb instantly when you open the door, leading to false readings.

Second-what is the temp in the freezer?

Third-what is the make and model of the fridge?

Fourth-is the fridge in a slide?

the freezer seems to be freezing, I believe it is a dometic, no it is not in slide,  will give exact name and model in a bit am going to ck on it. am still home getting ready to leave for a week this am.. thankyou

Inside the fridge, on the right side on the fins in the back top, is a plastic clip with a wire attached. Slide it UP as far as the wire will allow.  See if this helps.

Note. It will take TIME to cool down.

Another thing. if you open the door for like 1 minute it recovers fair quickly ( I think they said six minutes but don't quote me on that) Open the door for six minutes and it's hours to recvover.

ok just cked.  it is a norcold  mod. n811fltp  it was 40 in bottom, top is very cold did not  measure with thermo. the thermonters I'm using is a pocket thermo. as I used to haul refrigerated. we are plugged in to electric now but on gas the lowest it would go is 50

got to leave now.  going to take a chance on it.  thankyou all.  dabrown

When you return, take a look at this product....https://smartrvproducts.com/works/    I installed one on our Norcold and it makes a considerable difference in the cooling. Basically, they use muffin fans in a metal housing to direct the inside air over the cooling fins in the lower unit. It's using forced air circulation rather than the convection currents the fridge relies on. Works like a charm for us.

Put the fridge on the highest setting.

Freezers like to be full. I have ice trays, and rectangle ice bucket in mine. As space becomes available I freeze water in small jugs. to keep it full.

Refrigerators need room for air circulation, the opposite of freezers.

Plan ahead. Open fridge grab what you want and slam it shut. Put things back in all together, not one at a time.

Push firmly when closing the door. Your seal might need a good thorough cleaning with vinegar, then wipe down dry. Microfiber cloths remove the most gunk.

I put an outside solar roof fan on my refrigerator.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=as_li_ss_tl?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=solar+refrigerator+vent&sprefix=solar+refrig,aps,166&crid=OY62RGVQT1YZ&rh=i:aps,k:solar+refrigerator+vent

I like that smart rv gadget. Kind of pricey, but seems like a sound plan. I am putting it on my wishful list.  ;D

Attachments

• refrigerator solar vent.jpg
    refrigerator solar vent.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 3
DearMissMermaid said:
I like that smart rv gadget. Kind of pricey, but seems like a sound plan.

There are definitely cheaper options, but what I like about it is that it moves a lot of air, and it blows evenly over all of the fins.

Does the temp fluctuate at all?  If it gets cooler out at night the temperature in the fridge should go down overnight, rising during the warmer day if it is weak. A little change is probably normal though as these fridges aren't that good to begin with. If it isn't changing, it might be a thermostat or probe issue.  A digital thermometer helps a lot if you aren't already using one. I had a broken thermostat. 

Also, the back of my fridge wasn't sealed from the original installation. This let warm air circulate around the sides and above the fridge. That and the flue gas pipe didn't extend to the vent grill.

Steve

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom