$60K to Spend - Buy an Older Deisel or Newer Gas or Keep What I Have?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KandT

The situation:

We bought an RV to see if we would like it - We do. ;D  We have a 5 and 10 year old - boys.

I am frustrated with the current RV for three main reasons. 

The biggest reason is it is pushed near its load limit before we pack it at all.  I think everyone is familiar with a 31 foot on an e450.  I had it weighed last trip and we were packed light - only flushing water. - Back Axle was 1000 pounds over (you know the huge rear over hang is a seesaw).  Front axle still had 800 pounds to go.  And of course we were 200 pounds over total.  Had a rear flat that trip  ::)

Second is no automatic leveling.  I can feel the kids blink when I am trying to sleep.  Also, we have one slide which we have learned we have too "level" high and then watch the suspension drop it during the trip until it is the low side.

Third, is we almost always have a tow.  The two valve V10 when pushed to this limit just doesn't have it.  Not bad without a tow but up a hill with a tow and we are asking a lot of it.  Fine engine but can't expect it to do what we are asking it to do.

Now the dilemma:

If we have "only" (it is a lot to us) $60k to spend do we:

1)  Buy an '04 or older Diesel pusher
2)  Buy a V10 Class A with more carrying capacity - Newer coach than a DP
3)  Slap myself silly and keep what we have - (the BEST financial move!!)
4)  Sell it and stay in a hotel ;D

I know the only difference in the DP and Gas isn't just the fuel but the chassis and a better built machine.  BUT when we go clear back to an '04 are we likely to find the more complex (air brakes etc) diesel so much more maintenance that it is a money pit??  I know about a professional inspection but 13-16 years old are they getting to the point of worn out with the roof etc?

Thanks for your thoughts!

I vote for option number one. Your boys will not stay 5 and 10 forever. They will continue to add weight, not only in their body but in their stuff they take with. You need at least a 36 foot and preferably a 39 foot RV for a crowd of four and towing.

I'd say either option 1 or 2, keeping in mind that you're still going to hear that screaming V-10 (it's built for that) in option 2, but you'll have higher maintenance costs in option 1. Option 1 would also give you a quieter cockpit, a better ride and handle crosswinds and passing trucks a lot better, plus (in most cases) a few more amenities. But don't expect it to walk up a 5% or 6% grade without slowing, often to not much more than big trucks are doing, toad or no.

So my take is you'll enjoy the DP more if you can swing the extra maintenance costs, but you'd still find a newer gasser class A to be a decided improvement -- in both cases I'm assuming you find a floor plan that you and your family like. Also, the longer and more frequent the trips, the more the advantage goes to the DP.

I pretty much agree with what has been said. I too recommend shopping for the floor plan you like. Also a bit longer rig will make everyone feel like they can spread out more. Sleeping options will be important for you, as since 1/3 of your time in the RV will be spent there.  Not having to struggle to make up beds every night is a big deal. Most older DP's will have a lot of life left in them so just find one that was taken care of. Mileage is not much of an issue with a DP, and really low mileage can be as much of a concern as really high mileage. 

And you may already know, but check the dates on the tires of what ever you are looking at.  One recent forum member found a lovingly cared for one owner coach, with the original 17 year old tires on it!  Happy hunting!

A DP is nice, and typically more comfortable to drive.  However there are more systems to maintain, such as the air system for the brakes and suspension, with its air drier and compressor. 

With $60,000 I would strongly suggest a gas MH. You will get more room and newer model year, for the price, over a DP.  Keep in mind about driving, you are not, or should not be, in a hurry when driving, so just because you can't go 55mph up mountains, you can still get to the top, just a little slower. They are some models around with bunk beds. 

For a good place to see about general price ranges go to PPL Motorhomes:
--  Rigs for sale:  http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/
--  Listing and prices for rigs already sold:  http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/sold/soldmenu.htm

For the ones already sold, you really don't know the condition so it is hard to know if the sale price is good, bad or great. 

PPL is very good about not having rigs way overpriced like many you see on dealer lots. 

For floor plans, some RV mfg's have a brochure archive on their website.  Sometimes you have to poke around quite a bit to find the brochure archive.  For Winnebago's archive go here:  https://winnebagoind.com/product-resources/product-information

When you see a floor plan you like, be sure to check brochures for the model years near the one you first looked at.  Many times they made the same or very similar model for 3-5 years.  So when you look online to find a used one, you can look for more than one model year.

I bought a 2004 Beaver three years ago and no major maintenance issues. We have traveled from Washington state to Key West and winter in Arizona. Don't be afraid of an older quality coach with 40 to 60,000 as there is still a lot of life in them.

PS our is 40ft but there are plenty 38ft.

JSplaine said:
I bought a 2004 Beaver three years ago and no major maintenance issues. We have traveled from Washington state to Key West and winter in Arizona. Don't be afraid of an older quality coach with 40 to 60,000 as there is still a lot of life in them.

PS our is 40ft but there are plenty 38ft.
If I won the lottery a Beaver is the only coach I would look at. ;D

I have an 02 DP and would do it again.

The DP's will pull more and usually hold more too.

IF you are able to do some or most of the maintenance then it will save you a lot of $$$

MY 2? would be to look for something with at least 330 hp and at least 2 slides.

Most DP will have bigger tanks then most Gas units too.

Good luck with what ever you end up

The OP didn't say how many days/weeks per year they use a MH/RV...  Seems like that would be a primary consideration?  If you're out for a few weeks/year, maybe the one you have will suffice?  OTOH, if you're out for months at a time, or more, probably time to go big and if you go big, get a DP if you have the patience to find the right one... if not a much newer gas/class A with the features and capacities you need.  There are thousands of DP's out there that would be in your price range and the folks that own them will be selling them at some point either because they lose interest, can't afford it anymore or have a change in circumstances.  You could even post an ad looking for a seller.  Cash can be a real asset in this search.

taoshum said:
The OP didn't say how many days/weeks per year they use a MH/RV...  Seems like that would be a primary consideration?  If you're out for a few weeks/year, maybe the one you have will suffice?  OTOH, if you're out for months at a time, or more, probably time to go big and if you go big, get a DP if you have the patience to find the right one... if not a much newer gas/class A with the features and capacities you need.  There are thousands of DP's out there that would be in your price range and the folks that own them will be selling them at some point either because they lose interest, can't afford it anymore or have a change in circumstances.  You could even post an ad looking for a seller.  Cash can be a real asset in this search.

Thanks to all - we are still working so 2 big trips a year with as many long weekend or week long trips as we can muster in between.  We have been at the same place a long time (over 15 years?) so we have 5-6 weeks of vacation.

yes,  you can get a nice older diesel motorhome for around $60k.

However most older high end diesel motorhomes ..like Beaver and Country Coach were designed for Gramma and Grampa to travel comfortably in retirement with lots of nice soft leather and beautiful solid cherry-wood cabinets with lighted hanging wine class cabinets and cut crystal glass doors.

IMO....There may be other newer motorhomes that are better designed for younger families with kids on vacation.  The boys may like one with bunk beds and an outside entertainment center much better.

TonyDtorch said:
yes,  you can get a nice older diesel motorhome for around $60k.

However most older high end diesel motorhomes ..like Beaver and Country Coach were designed for Gramma and Grampa to travel comfortably in retirement with lots of nice soft leather couches, and beautiful lighted cherry-wood hanging wine class cabinets with cut crystal glass doors.

IMO....There may be other newer motorhomes that are better designed for younger families with kids on vacation.
That's true.  We found that when we were shopping.

If you get a newer $60k diesel rig, you likely have an entry level coach with a cheap roof and a small motor.

If you have 60k to spend, I would only spend 40 and set aside the 20 for maintenance, repairs and upgrades.

Look at used gas coaches. You can get a lot of bang for the buck going used and older.

Go with the FUN factor!

You're not living in it fulltime, you want quality fun time with the family. Choose older and used, so you can just relax and have a blast.

Back
Top Bottom