EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: help me understand  (Read 1231 times)

danford50

• ---
  • 2017 freedom Elite 29 fe
Re: help me understand
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2017, 09:21:26 AM »
I am going to leave my pressure at 75 for the front and 80 for the rear, because my camper is not load
2017 Freedom Elite 29 fe

TonyDtorch

• ---
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2017, 11:02:33 AM »
wanna bet? :)

In the 40 years I drove trucks...I never saw anyone do it.

so every time you loaded your truck back up,  you put more air back in the tires ?   :o
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 11:06:15 AM by TonyDtorch »

danford50

• ---
  • 2017 freedom Elite 29 fe
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2017, 06:47:43 PM »
what are you saying tony
2017 Freedom Elite 29 fe

TonyDtorch

• ---
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2017, 07:59:29 PM »
I was saying to Mile High.... I never saw any other drivers that would deflate their tires after unloading cargo,   and then inflate them back up to max psi when carrying a load.

I say put them at max pressure and leave it.   Many motorhomes fully loaded up for a vacation,  are at or near max the GVW anyway.

I read they have had scales at some the FMCA coach gatherings.  They found that aprox. 50% of the coaches weighed were actually over weight on one or both axles. Most on the steer axle.

Those coaches were likely cruising to that FMCA event at 70+ mph (with a toad) without ever knowing the danger going on with the front tires.

I guess it's one of those "Ignorance is bliss" things.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 08:28:45 PM by TonyDtorch »

mel s

• ---
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2017, 09:10:31 AM »
EXACTLY!  I run all Load Range E tires on my trucks and they are max 80 PSI cold (per tire manufacturer).  I keep em all right at 80 PSI because I often carry heavy loads of feed, equipment and my camper plus two golf carts.  Tires run cooler when fully inflated, which also reduces the risk of a blow out and helps handling.

gravesdiesel
I inflate my coach tires to the pressures recommended on the tire manufacture's inflation chart....based on the weight my tires actually carry.
(IMO tire manufactures publish "tire inflation charts" for a reason).

BTW if I ever need to carry a heavy load of feed and/or 2 golf carts in my motor home I will adjust the pressure in my tires accordingly.

Mile High

• ---
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2017, 02:09:09 PM »
In the 40 years I drove trucks...I never saw anyone do it.

so every time you loaded your truck back up,  you put more air back in the tires ?   :o

Yes, it's not that unusual - I learned it from other drivers of a recreational pickup.  They beat the heck out of you at max pressure when not hauling, and that is 90% of the time so why torture yourself - just drop the pressure.  Whenever I hooked up to the 5er for vacation, I had to get the compressor out anyway to adjust up the trailair pin box so it was never a hassle to just do the rear tires too.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 02:12:36 PM by Mile High »
Brad and Dory
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E (new to us 2016)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
FMCA 457993 / WIT W170238
Denver, CO

TonyDtorch

• ---
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2017, 02:38:28 PM »
Yes, it's not that unusual - I learned it from other drivers of a recreational pickup.  They beat the heck out of you at max pressure when not hauling, and that is 90% of the time so why torture yourself - just drop the pressure.  Whenever I hooked up to the 5er for vacation, I had to get the compressor out anyway to adjust up the trailair pin box so it was never a hassle to just do the rear tires too.
As for a personal pickup truck, yes. make it ride like a Caddy if you can.

Our company burden rate of a truck and 2 men was $300 an hour.    I'm pretty sure any truck foreman would have been fired for playing air games with his tires...just for comfort.   
To most companies, Time is Money.

but a motorhome is pretty much just a maxed out truck with a house on it....so I'd run the maximum recommended air pressure and expect it to drive like a truck.    ;)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 04:09:05 PM by TonyDtorch »

Mile High

• ---
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2017, 06:21:06 PM »
As for a personal pickup truck, yes. make it ride like a Caddy if you can.

Our company burden rate of a truck and 2 men was $300 an hour.    I'm pretty sure any truck foreman would have been fired for playing air games with his tires...just for comfort.   
To most companies, Time is Money.

but a motorhome is pretty much just a maxed out truck with a house on it....so I'd run the maximum recommended air pressure and expect it to drive like a truck.    ;)

put 75 psi in the tires (or what ever the max loaded pressure is).   No one ever deflates their tires when they unload a truck.
Hmmm, I guess I never saw any reference or implied reference to fleet drivers or a business, so not sure where that came from.  I'm not your employee, and really don't care about how my time impacts your money :)

and I would have to disagree with your statement on MH.  They are not running max on their tires as a rule.  Many have a very generous cargo capacity that when not used, can make for a rough, unecessary ride if inflated to the maximum pressure.
Brad and Dory
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E (new to us 2016)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
FMCA 457993 / WIT W170238
Denver, CO

KandT

• ---
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2017, 07:45:38 PM »
This isn't why we can't discuss politics!  We are "maxed out" on air pressure!😜😜
2005 Winnebago Vectra
American Car Dolly
2009 Accord Toad
It's not a problem.  It's a project!

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2017, 07:43:34 AM »
Many have a very generous cargo capacity that when not used, can make for a rough, unecessary ride if inflated to the maximum pressure.

And more importantly, over inflation can also cause handling problems, sometimes to the point of being dangerous. I've encountered that on a Bounder w/V10 and on my current Ventana DP.
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

Hosted by Over The Network