help me understand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SeilerBird said:
Weigh the motor home and then consult the manufacturers charts.

I agree with what SellerBird says.  Until you get it weighed would it make sense for you to estimate your added weight and then go to the chart.  Or go with 75# as you know you're adding some weight and then adjust when you get weighed with your load.

There is no need for all this anxiety,  60 psi is the minimum pressure for your unloaded weight, whereas 75 is optimal for a fully loaded coach. Since you won't travel empty, your actual weight will be somewhere in between and thus the optimal pressure will be somewhere in the middle as well. If you go with 75 psi, you know you have sufficient pressure and at worst you will be 5 or so psi above optimal. 

The only downside to a bit of extra tire pressure is a [maybe] slightly harsher ride, and even that may be offset by slightly improved fuel economy. The only thing you really need to worry about is insufficient inflation, so much better to be high than risk being too low.  Stop worrying about it and use the 75 psi shown on the weight & tire placard.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
There is no need for all this anxiety,  60 psi is the minimum pressure for your unloaded weight, whereas 75 is optimal for a fully loaded coach. Since you won't travel empty, your actual weight will be somewhere in between and thus the optimal pressure will be somewhere in the middle as well. If you go with 75 psi, you know you have sufficient pressure and at worst you will be 5 or so psi above optimal. 

The only downside to a bit of extra tire pressure is a [maybe] slightly harsher ride, and even that may be offset by slightly improved fuel economy. The only thing you really need to worry about is insufficient inflation, so much better to be high than risk being too low.  Stop worrying about it and use the 75 psi shown on the weight & tire placard.

BOOM!

danford50 said:
so now I am more confuse , what should I air my tire too. 60 or what the placard say.
danford50
You should air your tires to the pressures shown on the tire manufactures inflation chart based on the weight your tires actually carry when your RV is loaded for travel with driver and passenger(s) on board.

See: http://www.minderresearch.com/what-should-i-set-the-cold-pressure-of-my-tires-to/

Or as SeilerBird said in a earlier message: https://www.thefitrv.com/rv-tips/how-to-set-the-tire-pressure-in-your-rv/

put 75 psi in the tires (or what ever the max loaded pressure is).  No one ever deflates their tires when they unload a truck.

TonyDtorch said:
put 75 psi in the tires (or what ever the max loaded pressure is).  No one ever deflates their tires when they unload a truck.
wanna bet? :)

Looking at the GVWR minus the unloaded weights you provided, you have about 2200# of carrying capacity. Even "packing light" you can eat up a lot of that 2200#. I would be willing to bet those weights were with no people sitting in it either. Two people can easily add 300# plus directly on the front axle. That leaves you with 380# left on the front axle. By the time you load up your coach, you will be very close to the max on that axle. There is so little leeway in the weight carrying capacity of the tires, just run the fronts at 75, and the rears at 80 according to the placard. You will hit your max weight and most likely will go over it at some point.

TonyDtorch said:
EXACTLY!  I run all Load Range E tires on my trucks and they are max 80 PSI cold (per tire manufacturer).  I keep em all right at 80 PSI because I often carry heavy loads of feed, equipment and my camper plus two golf carts.  Tires run cooler when fully inflated, which also reduces the risk of a blow out and helps handling.

Mile High said:
wanna bet? :)

In the 40 years I drove trucks...I never saw anyone do it.

so every time you loaded your truck back up,  you put more air back in the tires ?  :eek:

I was saying to Mile High.... I never saw any other drivers that would deflate their tires after unloading cargo,  and then inflate them back up to max psi when carrying a load.

I say put them at max pressure and leave it.  Many motorhomes fully loaded up for a vacation,  are at or near max the GVW anyway.

I read they have had scales at some the FMCA coach gatherings.  They found that aprox. 50% of the coaches weighed were actually over weight on one or both axles. Most on the steer axle.

Those coaches were likely cruising to that FMCA event at 70+ mph (with a toad) without ever knowing the danger going on with the front tires.

I guess it's one of those "Ignorance is bliss" things.

gravesdiesel said:
EXACTLY!  I run all Load Range E tires on my trucks and they are max 80 PSI cold (per tire manufacturer).  I keep em all right at 80 PSI because I often carry heavy loads of feed, equipment and my camper plus two golf carts.  Tires run cooler when fully inflated, which also reduces the risk of a blow out and helps handling.

gravesdiesel
I inflate my coach tires to the pressures recommended on the tire manufacture's inflation chart....based on the weight my tires actually carry.
(IMO tire manufactures publish "tire inflation charts" for a reason).

BTW if I ever need to carry a heavy load of feed and/or 2 golf carts in my motor home I will adjust the pressure in my tires accordingly.

TonyDtorch said:
In the 40 years I drove trucks...I never saw anyone do it.

so every time you loaded your truck back up,  you put more air back in the tires ?  :eek:

Yes, it's not that unusual - I learned it from other drivers of a recreational pickup.  They beat the heck out of you at max pressure when not hauling, and that is 90% of the time so why torture yourself - just drop the pressure.  Whenever I hooked up to the 5er for vacation, I had to get the compressor out anyway to adjust up the trailair pin box so it was never a hassle to just do the rear tires too.

Mile High said:
Yes, it's not that unusual - I learned it from other drivers of a recreational pickup.  They beat the heck out of you at max pressure when not hauling, and that is 90% of the time so why torture yourself - just drop the pressure.  Whenever I hooked up to the 5er for vacation, I had to get the compressor out anyway to adjust up the trailair pin box so it was never a hassle to just do the rear tires too.
As for a personal pickup truck, yes. make it ride like a Caddy if you can.

Our company burden rate of a truck and 2 men was $300 an hour.    I'm pretty sure any truck foreman would have been fired for playing air games with his tires...just for comfort. 
To most companies, Time is Money.

but a motorhome is pretty much just a maxed out truck with a house on it....so I'd run the maximum recommended air pressure and expect it to drive like a truck.    ;)

TonyDtorch said:
As for a personal pickup truck, yes. make it ride like a Caddy if you can.

Our company burden rate of a truck and 2 men was $300 an hour.    I'm pretty sure any truck foreman would have been fired for playing air games with his tires...just for comfort. 
To most companies, Time is Money.

but a motorhome is pretty much just a maxed out truck with a house on it....so I'd run the maximum recommended air pressure and expect it to drive like a truck.    ;)

TonyDtorch said:
Hmmm, I guess I never saw any reference or implied reference to fleet drivers or a business, so not sure where that came from.  I'm not your employee, and really don't care about how my time impacts your money :)

and I would have to disagree with your statement on MH.  They are not running max on their tires as a rule.  Many have a very generous cargo capacity that when not used, can make for a rough, unecessary ride if inflated to the maximum pressure.

This isn't why we can't discuss politics!  We are "maxed out" on air pressure!??

Many have a very generous cargo capacity that when not used, can make for a rough, unecessary ride if inflated to the maximum pressure.

And more importantly, over inflation can also cause handling problems, sometimes to the point of being dangerous. I've encountered that on a Bounder w/V10 and on my current Ventana DP.

Back
Top Bottom