Looking at a used 5w. How is inspection different from TT?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Graycat

We just gave it a once over to see if it would work for us. It has our basic needs so it's time to inspect it thoroughly. We've had TT until now. Is there anything on a 5w that a TT doesn't have other than the hitch?

Our initial walk around looked ok except there was a piece of duct tape on the lower front side and the fiberglass was slightly dented there. Owner said he scraped it their first time out, about 6 years ago I assume. I also assume it cut through the fiberglass or there wouldn't be tape there. Is that a concern?  The fiberglass isn't buckled under it.

Inside, over the head of the bed, the ceiling is a little loose in one spot. I took a picture but don't know if I can get it on this post from my phone.  I can't. I'll add it later.

Also, pricing. How do you know what a fair price is. Nada has low and average prices but unlike kbb for cars doesnt factor in location or condition. This trailer seems to be in great condition.

A fair price is one that the buyer and the seller agree is fair. I usually start way low as a buyer because you can always go up. If he is asking $20,000 offer him $10,000 and see what they say.

Your signature shows a f150.  I sure hope your upgrading trucks.
Unless your going with a really tiny fiver you simply do not have enough load carrying capacity.
Remember a TT only places approx 12% of its loaded weight on a truck.  Whereas a fiver can drop as much as 25% of its weight directly over the rear axle.

In asking how is the inspection different.. Basically

On a TT you inspect the tong and hitch assembly and on a 5ER well. same thing but it's different.

The rest of the RV is "Same, Same" inspetion wise,

Thanks seilerbird, good advice as always.

On the way home, we stopped by a dealership to look at some used 5w to try to do some comparisons.  The one we went to see is the first we've been in.  There were only the huge ones in their used lot, and they were older, so hard to compare.  But there was a new one (Keystone) in the show room that was about the same size.  It was $10K more and 6 years newer.  We're thinking for $10K, it might be better to just get a new one and get everything we want if we can find one.

Attached is the picture of the ceiling in the upper bedroom.  I marked the place with a red arrow.  Does it look normal or not?  And what do you think about the scrape on the front of the trailer? 

Attachments

• IMG_1499.jpg
    IMG_1499.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 34
First and foremost, Donn had a HUGE warning!  While dealers claim otherwise, VERY FEW F150 or any other ? ton class pickup has the payload capacity to SAFELY pull a FW.  A small 8,000# GVWR  FW will place at least 1600# on the pin.  Add 200# for the FW hitch and 400# for a couple passengers and very little cargo, and you are at 2200# - well above most ? ton truck payloads.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,90933.0.html

When looking at any camper THE MOST IMPORTANT THING is the Floor Plan!  Is it perfect for YOU?  Look at at least 10 or 20 FW before making a decision with respect to floor plan!

I highly suggest a used unit.  While the first unit is priced "just" $10,000 less than new, the price is still negotiable.  Look for a used one with a floor plan and amenities you want, and go from there.

New units almost always come with several factory *@#!, which will be fixed under warranty, but you must tow it back to the dealer, wait a few days - or weeks to get it fixed, then tow it back home and hope they fixed more than they broke.  A used one has all of these things fixed.  There will always be something that needs fixed, but the used one is out of warranty (usually) and you may fix it yourself or hire a local mobile tech for the service.  And save a bunch of money, too!

grashley said:
First and foremost, Donn had a HUGE warning!  While dealers claim otherwise, VERY FEW F150 or any other ? ton class pickup has the payload capacity to SAFELY pull a FW.  A small 8,000# GVWR  FW will place at least 1600# on the pin.  Add 200# for the FW hitch and 400# for a couple passengers and very little cargo, and you are at 2200# - well above most ? ton truck payloads.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,90933.0.html

When looking at any camper THE MOST IMPORTANT THING is the Floor Plan!  Is it perfect for YOU?  Look at at least 10 or 20 FW before making a decision with respect to floor plan!

I highly suggest a used unit.  While the first unit is priced "just" $10,000 less than new, the price is still negotiable.  Look for a used one with a floor plan and amenities you want, and go from there.

New units almost always come with several factory *@#!, which will be fixed under warranty, but you must tow it back to the dealer, wait a few days - or weeks to get it fixed, then tow it back home and hope they fixed more than they broke.  A used one has all of these things fixed.  There will always be something that needs fixed, but the used one is out of warranty (usually) and you may fix it yourself or hire a local mobile tech for the service.  And save a bunch of money, too!
^^^^ :)) :)) :)) :))

Really good advice from Gordon. New ones can end up spending the vast majority of it's first year at the dealership and it is unusable then. I much prefer a used one and then get a mobile mechanic to come out to me to fix the RV. That way you never surrender the use of the vehicle, and you can watch them do the work and make sure they are not lying about the number of hours they are charging you. RV warranties are worthless in my book. It is cheaper to pay for the repairs yourself.

Agree with the others re the F150,  and new vs used,

As for differences in the inspection, on a 5W i would take a look at corner where the long front overhang joins the main body. This is a high stress point on a 5W and any sign of cracking there deserves a more thorough investigation. If solid looking, then no worries.

I see nothing very suspicious in your ceiling picture, but again, any anomaly means take a closer look.

RV pricing varies much more widely than car & truck pricing and book values don't mean a lot. Try to find other examples of that model or type to compare, e.g. on rvtrader.com, but recognize that asking prices don't establish value either. Also check the PPL Motorhomes site for sales data - they publish actual consignment sales prices for everything they've sold in the past two years. Again, it's just one more data point and not a definitive answer on price. At the end of the day it is as Seilerbird suggests: make an offer and see where it goes.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/sold/soldmenu.htm

Thank you for the link Gary.  That confirmed our thought that the 5w was overpriced, plus we didn't love the floorplan.  If it was a great deal, I could deal with the kitchen.

Even though the pickup is a non-issue, so many of you were questioning it that I will explain.  We tow our little trailer with an F150.  We also have a Silverado 2500 4x4.  It is a registered farm truck and not to be used for recreational use, but that is an option to get a trailer home.  After the dust settles from buying a trailer, which is our urgent need right now, we will sell the F150 or maybe both trucks and buy an F250 to pull the trailer.

In my opinion, the PPL prices are generally on the low side of typical, and certainly low compared to dealer lot pricing. A good deal would be near the PPL consignment sale level, while an OK deal is probably closer to the NADA price range. Condition and the local market will cause wide variations, though. And I might even pay above NADA for an exceptionally well maintained rig, especially an older one in premier condition. NADA values keep depreciating as the years pass, but a high quality rig will reach a price "floor" and stay there as long as the condition warrants it.

Graycat said:
Thank you for the link Gary.  That confirmed our thought that the 5w was overpriced, plus we didn't love the floorplan.  If it was a great deal, I could deal with the kitchen.

Even though the pickup is a non-issue, so many of you were questioning it that I will explain.  We tow our little trailer with an F150.  We also have a Silverado 2500 4x4.  It is a registered farm truck and not to be used for recreational use, but that is an option to get a trailer home.  After the dust settles from buying a trailer, which is our urgent need right now, we will sell the F150 or maybe both trucks and buy an F250 to pull the trailer.
You should really consider getting a 3500 truck.  The dual rear wheels will really help with a fifth wheel.

Back
Top Bottom