dead batteries in both cabin and motor.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sassyanna

I have just purchased an Gulf Stream BT Cruiser 5239.  Twice now I have found both batteries dead.  I believe it has an after market alarm installed.  I hear a beep when I try to crank and the door has an alarm sign on it.  Does anyone have any advise for me.  The dealer I purchased it from and camping world/good SAM's can not help. 
:(

Keep it plugged in (At least if it's a 21st century machine)

If you have Battery DISCONNECTS then use them, this will increase battery "Storage" life but alas there are still loads that will run 'em down over time...  For a Motor home 2 weeks is a LONG TIME without charging.

Motor homes come in two types for this post.. and two more types which I'll just pay finger service to

Some older ones have cheap converters that given time do more damage than good but if yours was made in the 21st century not likely one o f'em.. Post make and model of converter (The device that turns 120vac into 12vdc)

Now the two types (primary) Mine has a  bi=directional isolator, that means if I'm plugged in ALL the batteries are being charged by my Progressive Dynamics Intella-power 9180 With Wizard (No better converter than the INtella Power line with wizard)

And if I'm rolling, rolling, rolling down the highway.. (Driving the RV) ALL batteries are again charged, this time by the engine.

Others have a one-way Isolator.. Rolling (As above) All batteries charged  but Parked ONLY The house.  THis is true even of 2018 models yet to be delivered..

Hot to find out.

Measure voltage both house and engine batteries and write it down

Plug in

Come back in 2 hours and measure again

on 2nd measurement if you see 13 or more on both batteries you have a good one

If not google "Trick-L-Charge"

Some more info would help.  Age of batteries?  How long without being plugged to shore power?

RVs have a lot of small but constant power draws, so it's not unusual for batteries to go dead if not kept plugged in or driven regularly. And if the batteries are in poor condition, it may only take a short time for them to appear "dead".

As John said, it depends on time and battery condition. There are often many phantom loads that can run down the batteries. One is the propane detector on the house side and it usually bypasses any battery disconnect scheme and is thus live all the time. Every coach has one of these  (by law) usually mounted near the stove area and low down near the floor. I have to disconnect the wires on my trailer's detector while in storage, (there is no one there to hear it anyway!!)

Many coaches do not have a disconnect on the engine battery as standard equipment but I would assume the alarm you described would bypass any such scheme as well.

Many RV's "Beep" When started due to the Power On Self Test (POST) testing the assorted dash alarms.. Mine would also do it if I turn up the volume on the rear view camera even if though it has no sound (It think that's on power down though).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom