1995 brave 31rq

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

camperdude

hey guys looking to get first MH.been camping for years in a tt now we want a MH.found a 95 brave 31RQ on internet and want to know towing capacity.cant get om to download.MH is 1 state away and seller is working right now.anything else to lookout for thanks

I was able to download today, but tow rating doesn't seem to be listed. However, it says a Class II receiver is optional and a Class II is rated for 3500 lbs max.

The 31RQ is available on either Ford or Chevy chassis and the chassis ratings are slightly different, but the 3500 lb receiver rating is probably applicable to either one.

Every gas Winnebago that I've seen from that era had no more than a 3,500lb hitch on it.  The Chevy and Ford chassis are similar in their ratings -- I think the Chevy is something like 14,000 GVWR and 20,000 GCWR and the Ford is 17,000ish GVWR and 23,000 GCWR.  The GVWR should be on a placard by the driver seat, but they make the GCWR something that you need to scour the Internet for.

I'll leave the legalities to you, but something that they weren't very good at when they put the motorhome on the frame was going the extra mile to make sure everything was nice and strong.  Typically, the frame rails that GM or Ford put on the chassis are not long enough for the house, so the RV builder puts frame extensions on.  Since those extensions don't need to hold a whole lot, they put some extra C-channel at the end of the frame rails, throw a small plate over the outside joint, and do a one-cheek weld job.  When you hook up some weight to the hitch (which is bolted to the extensions, not the actual frame), you build a giant heavy see-saw that will apply some serious leverage to that joint.  Worst-case scenario involves the frame extensions coming completely off and the trailer taking the rear cap of the RV in a messy divorce.  More likely is that the welds will start to fail and the rear cap will sag, which is pretty bad.

That's the biggest reason I see to pay close attention to their 3,500lb hitch limit.  Just to make extra sure, I cut a couple bits of c-channel and bolted them to the insides of the frame and extensions and then attached the hitch through that as well.  The reinforcement transfers any force that the trailer puts on the extensions through to the actual frame.  Total cost was about $50 and 6 hours, but my hitch is really solid now. 

John Canfield said:
Winnebago has stretched some gas chassis's but AFAIK they would cut them somewhere in the middle and add in frame rail sections.
John apparently you haven't been under many older MHs. Most are just as Wae describes, and most companys do a terrible job welding, on the extensions.  They only use frame rails when extending the wheelbase. I've pulled the gas tank down and welded up every frame class A and class C that I used for towing. I broke the weld on portion on a GMC Gimmy many years ago, that taught me to weld um up first instead of repairing after like I did on the Gimmy. 

Charlie 5320 said:
John apparently you haven't been under many older MHs. Most are just as Wae describes, and most companys do a terrible job welding, on the extensions.  ....
I was speaking specifically about Winnebago gassers, I have no idea what other manufacturers do (nor do I care.)

I've been under a handful of early 90's, late 80's Winnebagos and Itascas.  Granted, they were all the Chevy chassis, so maybe the Fords are done differently, but the frame extensions were all after the factory frame ended with no cuts or welds in the original frame.  Chopping the middle of the frame would have a higher initial cost, since you'd also need to have a longer driveshaft built and re-plumb the fuel and brakes, so it would make sense to me that they'd tack on extensions unless there was a really serious reason to lengthen the wheelbase.  Perhaps that was a trick they reserved for 36 and 38 foot coaches?  I know on my 32 footer, they tacked on about 16 or 18 inches worth of extension if memory serves, so not a whole lot.  One thing I've found is that if they can find a way to not spend a nickel, they'll do it!

When I was buying, towing was a big concern for me and I couldn't find anything with more than a 3500lb hitch rating across various manufacturers of gassers from the late 80s/early 90s.  I've reinforced the extensions like I said, and with the trailer attached and the heavy car on it, I'm basically a cheese curl below my GCWR.

John Canfield said:
I was speaking specifically about Winnebago gassers, I have no idea what other manufacturers do (nor do I care.)
Well Winnebago WAS'T any better than any other manufacturer when adding the frame extension, and NOT as good as some others. Just so you know. My 80 Itasca had a pitiful weld job on the frame extension.  The weld did NOT penetrate the surfaces and the little diamond plate they attempted to weld on the side was a joke. Took a lot of work to get it tow ready. 

camperdude said:
thanks for all the reply's.I will pass on this one.need 5k towing
You will be hard pressed to find a C or an A with more than a 3500 lb rating in that era. Most fab shops can make it so it can pull more for a nominal fee.

John Canfield said:
One issue is braking,  the chassis manufacturer designed brakes, etc to the rated gross combined weight.
Very true John, I had 4 wheel brakes on my trailer and pulling it with the Itasca with drum rear brakes, I knew it was at the max. It stopped OK but was much better when I upgraded coachs with one that had 4 wheel disc.

Back
Top Bottom