A wonderful surprise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarsMac

We had a bit of rough weather a couple of weeks back. The Monsoon winds brought a lot of moisture up over the mountains, and we had a week of Thunderstorms and such.

at the same time, the Wife ended up on the hospital, and I spent most of the week running back and forth, tending the dog, working, hanging out with her, and trying to keep up on sleep.

About the last day of the nasty weather, I came home and noticed something amiss with the Dancer.

Apparently, one of the days we had a really strong wind, which along with taking out a few branches in the trees, seemed to have caused the lower seam to pop, and let water run down the side and collect in the bottom of the overhang.
I jacked up the back of the Dancer, with the levelers, and a gallon or more of dirty water poured out, along with some bits and pieces of what used to be plywood. 

Well, I took it to Lazy Days to have a look, and the guy says we need to rip out quite a bit of the plywood, and replace it. The price he quoted had me on the phone to my insurance company that afternoon.

Looks like our trip to Maine is on hold.
[sigh]

Attachments

• IMG_20170826_1442357-resize.jpg
    IMG_20170826_1442357-resize.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_20170826_1442539-resize.jpg
    IMG_20170826_1442539-resize.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 172
That overhang seems to be a rather troublesome spot on class Cs. What makes it so difficult to seal? Evidently it had been wet for awhile if the plywood came out in pieces already. Hope you get it fixed up quick.

My experience with leaky "Cs" is a breakdown in the roof to front joint and the sides sealant. (if you have a front window get rid of it) Since rebuilding my Winnie and using EternaBond has solved the problem. I still check all joints twice a year just to be sure.

whiteva said:
My experience with leaky "Cs" is a breakdown in the roof to front joint and the sides sealant. (if you have a front window get rid of it) Since rebuilding my Winnie and using EternaBond has solved the problem. I still check all joints twice a year just to be sure.

Thanks. This one has the entertainment center in the front, though they (previous owner, or CW, not sure which) removed the big old CRT TV that had been in the center. The good news is that there is no sign of water damage to the interior.
There is evidence to suggest that it had leaked at some time, before, and someone had re-calked the seams prior to our purchase.
And the guy at CW jumped in with making sure we were clear that this was an "As Is" purchase, as soon as we stepped into his office, before we even saw any paperwork.
But there was not really any way to catch this that I know of.

whiteva said:

I love my bunk window!

However, when it proved impossible to seal, I used Eternabond tape all around the edges of the window encroacking about an inch. It has never leaked a drop since.

Eventually painted the upper front too, so the tape just blends in now. I just used spray can paint. Several coats.

The sun reflector shown in the windows is because I took this picture when I was preparing to store my RV for 2 weeks while I went to the Keys in a camper van.

I guess the paint job is about 2 years old as this picture was taken.

Attachments

• Tioga-.jpg
    Tioga-.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 68
Well, tear out has begun, and it's not pretty.

Attachments

• Overhead Tearout-sm1.jpg
    Overhead Tearout-sm1.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 37
  • Overhead Tearout-sm2.jpg
    Overhead Tearout-sm2.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 36
Wheeew! That's great news! I've been there with cabover water damage. I had a body shop replace the broken front panel, paint it up and we sold it. We told everyone that looked at it about the water damage. The fellow that bought it drove away hootin' & hollerin'! We heard he sold it a year later for $1500 more than he bought it for... Our conscience was clear at least!

Back
Top Bottom