Directv receiver connection issues.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steve-n-sueC

The Directv receiver that I have does not have a coax output to connect to the "multiswitch" that routes signals to rear tv, vcr, etc. I have an HDMI cable from the receiver to the main tv, but have no way to get it anywhere else. Is there any type of adapter I can use, or do I need to replace the switch? If it's the switch, what am I lookingfor?

What receiver?
Switch receivers to a Genie and a mini Genie for each TV you want to connect.  The whole setup will then be wireless.

donn said:
What receiver?
Switch receivers to a Genie and a mini Genie for each TV you want to connect.  The whole setup will then be wireless.
Only if you step up to the wireless version. The HR44 and clients require cable connection via a splitter inline with the antenna. Last I checked the wireless version was more expensive but still an option. With some reconfiguring, you may be able to repurpose existing cabling.

I have the HR-44 receiver, a video bridge, and a mini genie connected to our bedroom tv.  The video bridge casts to the mini genie.

The HR24 really has no (direct) capability to send a signal to a second receiver. Directv wants you to buy another receiver or upgrade to the Genie and add a Mini Genie for the second TV.

But you can take the composite output from the HR24 and use a converter to change to signal to Coax and connect that to your second TV. Mind you both TVs must watch the same program.

If you upgrade to the Genie with a Mini genie the 2 TVs can watch different programs, but you'll also need to upgrade your antenna to a SWM3 or add a SWM switch between your antenna and the splitter that feeds both the Genie and the mini Genie.

I am not sure what you want is a Multi-Stitch

Antenna---Multi-Switch---Receiver 1---TV 1  (Multi-switch)--Receiver 2, TV 2  (And so on)

What you seem to want is

ANtenna---Receiver---Splitter--TV1  (Splitter)-TV 2 (And possibly 3 and 4)

NOTE the device in prens is the same device as not in presns. My way of saying ALso from the Splitter or Multi-Switch

You can Split an HDMI and lay in a new cable to the rear that's how I'd do it.

Or you can get an HDMI-Coax Modulator but last time I checked the price on those I had to change underwear  (May have come down)

Or you can go with the Multi-Switch and 2 receivers and lay in a new RG-6 to the rear.. Might as well lay in HDMI and use an  HDMI splitter if you are going to do that though.

What is the proper terminology for the "multiswitch"?

That works, or sometimes "video switch".

One person here calls it the BOMB - Box Of Many Buttons. That's quite accurate but not a widely accepted term in the industry, either RV or TV.  ;)

I don't know of any video switches that handle both coax and HDMI. Maybe there is such a thing somewhere, but coax generally does not support hi-def video, so system that use HDMI rarely utilize coax. Your best bet is to get a converter for coax (composite video) to HDMI and then use an HDMI video switch. However, that means running HDMI from the switch to each tv and that a PITA in an RV.  You could maybe install wireless HDMI to avoid the wiring issues, though.

Back
Top Bottom