Roof and/or slide leaks during hurricane evacuation...covered parking, tarp??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lisamc

Hi all,

We are new to RVing, and Hurricane Harvey rolled in on our first weekend in the rig (31' 2011 Four Winds Serrano class A diesel). We decided to evacuate the Houston area in the RV, but in the process we discovered we were taking on water from both slides and from the top of one cabinet. It could be our seal around the slides was folder on itself, or it could be due to an agin g seal on the roof. We are seeking a way to keep drier until we can identify the problem and repair it.  We are currently in the Waco area.  I've called all the local camp grounds, RV parks, RV dealers, RV repair places, evacuee shelters, Boondockers Welcome, Harvest Hosts, and storage places and cannot find any covered parking/camping. Can't find any suitable business awnings to utilize.  We did see another RV covered with a tarp and bungee cords, so we are headed to Walmart to do that and maybe boondock.  Any other suggestions we should consider either for temporary leak fix, leak identification, or covered parking?

Wow, I wish I had a good answer for you but sadly do not.  Wishing you well and safe!

ArdraF

There is another post that said Melody Mountain Ranch in Stephenville is helping evacuees.  Not that far from Waco & maybe they can help. Take care.

Sorry for what you are going through.

If you end up tarping remember you can't tarp over the refrigerator vents if it is operating.

There might not really be a problem. We experienced heavy wind-driven rain in Rhode Island that pushed water through the stove vent and past one compartment gasket. Everything was okay once they dried out, and it never happened again.

It's possible that the hurricane force winds are too much for the slide seals, and they wouldn't leak under normal conditions. Is there any evidence of prior water damage?

Thanks for the info, all.  There isn't any indication of prior water damage that our mechanic/inspector or myself saw.  However the previous owner blew a front tire and damaged a headlight shortly before selling it, so I wonder if that incident misaligned things.  Also the previous owner kept it covered and didn't full time it so I don't know if it had much opportunity to manifest existing leaks.

We are safe which is the important thing. The governor waived state park fees for evacuees so we are enjoying a scenic spot in Central Texas out of the rain. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom