Main Door Lock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

morganlee04

Question about our main door lock for the newbie full timers. When we lock it from the outside with a key whoever is on the inside is locked in. We can't get it to unlock from the inside if it's locked from the outside. Is this some weird safety feature, or do we have a faulty door lock???

Sounds like a faulty door lock to me. I have heard of people getting trapped inside and having to crawl out of a window so you better figure it out. You would not want to be inside in case of a fire. :eek:

I have ocassionally experienced difficulty in opening my door from the inside.  I have noticed that it was due to the latch from the screen door being in the wrong position.  Once i lift this latch the other handle works fine.  Perhaps your situation is different, but take a look a this to be sure it is not this simple.

How to make a signature for your RV so we can serve you better.

1. Click "Profile" button towards the top of the screen.

2. Scroll down a ways and select "Modify Profile"

3. Select Forum Profile

4. Fill it out and click on "Change profile".

Faulty door lock. 100% sure on that.. YOU MUST be able to exit and without a key, That is code (Fire code) so it's a faulty lock

May be as simple as a screw loose..  Many RVers have a few screws Loose.. Usually in the electrical panel but door locks do that too.

As John says, there has to be a lever or button on the inside to release the lock from the inside, even if locked from the outside.  Either you haven't located that button or the lock is faulty.

On both of my trailers, I could lock the door handle with someone inside as there was a lever on the inside to unlock the door. I couldn't lock the deadbolt on the door as there wasn't a lever for that. On the motorhome we have now, there's levers for both the handle lock and the deadbolt.

This sounds exactly like the recall noted in the above post.  I received the recall notice a couple of years ago.  It said to check the lock as follows:  Insert the key in the deadbolt cylinder and turn to lock the door.  Without turning the key back to the 12 o'clock position try taking the key out of the lock.  If the key will come out the lock is defective and anyone inside will not be able to unlock the door from the inside.  It then said, even if you cannot get the key out to check the number on the key and if that number falls into the listed range the lock is one of the recalled locks.  I could not remove my key without returning it to 12 o'clock, but it did fall into the recall range.

I went online and filled out the form and listed my key number.  It took a FULL year for them to send me the new lock cylinders and keys and the tool for removing and replacing the cylinders.  I kept checking to make sure that the key could not be removed without turning it back to 12 o'clock.  Shortly after I received the new cylinder kit I started to be able to remove my key without returning it to the 12 o'clock position and sure enough, if you do that, the door cannot be unlocked from the inside.  That is scary and dangerous!! 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom