Sandhill crane

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeilerBird

I have a few dozen very tame Sandhill Cranes living in my RV park permanently. They are in my yard many times every day. Today I was driving to the dumpster and passed a crane resting. I am posting this because there is some confusion about the anatomy of birds. It looks like his knees are backwards. But they are not. Those are his ankles you see. His knees are covered with feathers.

Attachments

• Sandhill crane resting.jpg
    Sandhill crane resting.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 93
  • Bird skeleton.jpg
    Bird skeleton.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 40
Went to Nebraska for the migration..  To say the least it is impressive.
You might want this on your bucket list.

I have been wanting to go to the Platte River in Nebraska in the spring time to see the thousands of SHCs that show up there. However I have a small flock in my yard every day. ;D

boatbuilder said:
I have never seen a long legged bird resting like that.  Great picture as always and educational to boot.
Well then here is another one. This is Charlie, the Wood Stork who lives at my RV park. He is extremely tame and is sitting down (kneeling down?) five feet away from my relatives who are fishing in the canal behind their house. The incredible bird life here in Florida is the main reason I stayed here. Paradise for a bird photographer. ;D

Attachments

• Wood Stork resting on his ankles.jpg
    Wood Stork resting on his ankles.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 27
Looks like they are part dog. My parents live in Boynton Beach in the winter and whenever I visit I try to get to Loxahatchee or Wakodahatchee to see the wildlife.

Sometime within the next week DH and I hope to visit the Sherburne National Wildlife Refuge in Minnesota to see the migration of Sand Hill Cranes.  By the middle of October the refuge usually has thousands of cranes that roost at night in the wetlands and then fly out to local croplands to forage during the day.  The challenge will be to get up by 5 am and out to the refuge about 6:30 am. 

Those Sandhill Cranes practically own the golf course grounds around my in-laws neighborhood in central Florida.  They cross the road whenever they feel like it, and all you can do is... wait.  I snapped these shots when we were visiting them this past summer.

Attachments

• P6200033.JPG
    P6200033.JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 23
  • P6200034.JPG
    P6200034.JPG
    186.3 KB · Views: 22
Very interesting. A friend used to stay in an RV park in Yuma and his neighbor would hand feed road runners hamburger. I didn't know they are omnivorous .

scottydl said:
Those Sandhill Cranes practically own the golf course grounds around my in-laws neighborhood in central Florida.  They cross the road whenever they feel like it, and all you can do is... wait.  I snapped these shots when we were visiting them this past summer.

Are they as ubiquitous as Canadian Geese in Minnesota?

Not sure about Minnesota, but we have plenty of goose takeover areas in Illinois.  They are all over the place if there's any body of water around (parks, golf courses, rainwater retention basins, etc).  These geese are big, mean, & messy too.

We went to the Bosque del Apache National Refuge last year.  We saw thousands of these...  amazing grace.

Attachments

• IMG_5665 (Small).JPG
    IMG_5665 (Small).JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 22

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom