EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Solenoid clicks  (Read 1446 times)

Willandgiselarv

• ---
Re: Solenoid clicks
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2017, 11:16:46 PM »
Or your generator starter is weak and some of the windings have detiorated..
2004 GB. Bellagio 38ft  3126E Allison 3060
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk

cgmartin

• ---
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2017, 11:58:13 PM »
Here is my latest report: I installed the starter and made sure I could turn the flywheel by hand in either direction. I then hooked up my generator to a gas can and my car's 12 volt battery. It started after a couple of tries and ran without surging. I am convinced that the problem was caused by low voltage from low house batteries. This occurred because the teeth on the Bendix gear jammed up against the teeth on the flywheel, and the spring on the shaft is too weak to force the Bendix back into place against the starter. The moral of the story: don't start the generator if you anticipate the house batteries are low.  Now, this may only happen once every 1,000 starts, but that single time will put your generator out of business.  I am now well acquainted with how the generator operates. All I need to do now is place the generator back into the motorhome and I am back in business. Yahoo!!

cgmartin

• ---
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2017, 02:42:18 AM »
I forgot to add this: I had somehow missed that my generator was missing a hose. I went on YouTube and saw just one or two generators that had this hose, but just about all were missing it. This is only on the 4KY Spec K generator, but may apply to others.  It is also listed on the parts list. I ordered a new one from Onan.  One end of the hose fits in a hole on the flywheel shroud, above and behind the carburetor. It is called a pre-heater house, part no. 503-1351. Its purpose appears to be to route the heat from the flywheel and direct it over the engine and down to the back side of the generator, right behind the starter. Without this hose, all the heat is directed over the engine.

JackL

• ---
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2017, 05:51:56 AM »
I remember years ago when I was poorer then a church mouse, and the solenoid on my old 49 Chevy was bad. I used to jump it using a pair of pliers using each handle end on a terminal.
 I did this until I finally could afford a used one from a junkyard.

jack L

youracman

• ---
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2017, 08:48:23 PM »
I remember years ago when I was poorer then a church mouse, and the solenoid on my old 49 Chevy was bad. I used to jump it using a pair of pliers using each handle end on a terminal.
 I did this until I finally could afford a used one from a junkyard.

jack L

;D  ;D  ;D  Luv it, Jack.  lol;   a LOT of us have been there. 
Ed Sievers/Denver, CO
07 WGO Outlook 31C
Toad: 16 Soul with 6spd DIY
"Be the person you needed when you were younger."

cgmartin

• ---
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2017, 04:55:20 AM »
Hello all, I am back seeking advice. I was getting ready to install my generator, and looked at the photos I had taken of the receptacle box before I removed the wires and I am puzzled.  It is my understanding that the back of the receptacle has three wires. One is the 120  volt hot wire. The second wire is the neutral wire, and the third wire is the ground wire.  My generator has three wires, a green, a white and a black. All of my photos only show two wires on the back of the receptacle, but no third wire. One of the photos, which I have attached (#1) shows a white wire. Photo #2 shows the black wire.  Photo #3 shows the green wire, which is twisted together with another green wire. Those green wires do not go to the receptacle box.  So my question is: Why is there no third wire going to the receptacle?  As I said, all photos show the wires before I touched them, so they are in their original condition. I need some help with this.  Thx.

Charlie 5320

• ---
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2017, 02:17:35 PM »
Look closely at your pic. The ground wire is connected to the green wires. I would replace that recep with a new one with a ground terminal.
2003 National Dolphin 5320
496  8.1  Workhorse

98 Damon Daybreak 3130
GM Vortech 454  4L80E
SOLD

cgmartin

• ---
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2017, 04:16:03 PM »
Yes, it appears that the small brownish wire that is intertwined with the large green wire and a red cap that I think you are referring to appears to be a copper ground wire, but when I went out to the motorhome at the storage yard to confirm it, I found that it was not, it is just a small gauge brown wire. However, surprise, surprise, what the photos do not show is that indeed, there is a copper wire on the top of the outlet, so I was wrong and jumped the gun too soon. As you can see from the photos, the place where the white wire is attached appears to be cracked, so I will be replacing that part. So, after all this drama on my part, my suspicions were correct that this outlet has a ground wire, which is normally oriented on the top, as you face the outlet, a white wire on the right, which is the neutral, and a black wire on the left, which is the hot wire. Again, sorry for my confusion!!

cgmartin

• ---
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2017, 05:49:10 PM »
Well folks, I am now a happy camper. I finally installed the generator back in my motorhome. Since my floor jack was too wobbly, I went out and bought a motorcycle jack for $80.00, which was very stable lifting the generator. While it was out, I replaced everything that could be replaced, including the fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plug, air filter, solenoid, muffler shield, 30 amp plug and receptacle, heat insulators on the generator cover, and installed braided fuel lines.  The jack will now come in handy for cleaning my Harley Heritage. I also ran a mixture of Sea Foam and gas, and the generator is now running great.  So now, with this adventure behind me, my thesis on generators is now complete. Thank you all!!

Hosted by Over The Network