Hard wireing a surge supresser

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mickey G

I have a 30 amp surge supresser that I want to hard wire it into my 5th wheel.
I was going to cut the ends of the supresser off and install it to my 30 amp electrical cord.
This way I would never have to plug it in at a campground?
Will this cause any problems with my electrical,on the 5th wheel?

I assume this is a PORTABLE device.. If so read on....

Hard wired Devices (And SOME Portables) have a "Bypass" Feature.. Many portables do not.  Since you can simply remove them from the line instead.

IF for any reason the device refuses to connect you and it is NOT because you plugged into 240 volts instead of 120 or some other legit reason... But rather due to a device malfunction,,, Hard to bypass.

A better (50 dollar more or less) solution is the plug and socket solution (HOW I plan to do it)

IN your case (Mine is a bit different) CUT the cord,, install a TT-30 Outlet on the line to SHORE and a matching plug on the line to the power distribution center.. Plug in as you normally would.

If you need to BYPASS.. Well I think you can figure that out.

Could I cut the ends off my surge supresser, and cut the 30 amp power cord, and just splice the supresser into the power cord?

Mickey G said:
Could I cut the ends off my surge supresser, and cut the 30 amp power cord, and just splice the supresser into the power cord?

You could do that but I'd be afraid of damaging the surge protector when coiling up the cord all the time.  Dragging it on the ground, putting it in a compartment or the back of the tow vehicle because the cable is all muddy and dirty.  I think you're looking into this deeper than you need to. What is the problem of plugging the surge protector into the power supply then plug your RV cable into it.

Convienance.
I want to permantely mount the surge supresser into a storage locker.
That way, It stays out of the mud, dirt and rain.
I want to mount it to the END of the power cable, that way, there would be no movement of the supresser to cause any damage when pulling out the power cord.
I could pull the cord out and be automatically hooked into the supresser, and I could still hook up a power cord extension if needed.

How about adding plugs to the camper end of the cord, as suggested, plugging in the surge protector, then use a clamp or wire staple to hold the surge protector securely in place.  It simplifies the install, secures the surge protector and still allows the manual bypass if ever needed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom