B1/2 visa extension

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nigeluk

Hi all
We have a 6 month visa for visiting the states next year we would like to extend for another 6 months whilst there, I have just read on another forum that we could be refused entry if we don't have a booked flight back to Uk during the first 6 months. Is this right?

Howdy Nigeluk,

Please excuse me, but AFAIK a B1/B2 visa doesn't guarantee you a 6-month stay to begin with; again AFAIK, the maximum length of your stay will be determined by the CBP officer that will interview you at your port of entry, and 6 months is the maximum he/she is allowed to give you.

That said, we haven't ever been asked to show a booked flight  back; but also, we haven't ever asked for more than 30 days on each trip either.

Cheers,
--
  Vall & Mo.

As Val said, the length of stay will be determined by the Customs & Border Patrol agent at the port of entry. But I haven't heard of any cases where someone with a B1 or B2 visa wasn't granted a requested 6 months stay.

Like Val, in the years I visited the US from the UK, I was never asked to show a return ticket. But, since we've lived in the US and have been US citizens since the 80's, that is very old data. Undesirables aside, the main thing they're concerned about is that you'll be self-sufficient, and don't plan to stay here living off the state.

FWIW one time I stood in line at a US Consulate office in Canada, and an English guy in front of me was pleading to be granted a visa for entry to the US. He showed his return ticket, and was told "that doesn't prove that you plan to return to the UK". For such cases, some folks carry proof of a home, family and other commitments in the UK.

Over the years, anecdotally we've heard/read of a very small number of cases of folks not being granted entry/re-entry for some reason or other. But usually there's more to the story (e.g. a British couple making multiple successive trips to Canada, attempting to get around the system and get multiple 6-month extensions to their stay).

The comment you've read elsewhere, if true, merely confirms that the CPB officer at the port of entry has the authority to grant or refuse entry.

As always, I urge you to read the latest rules on the official US Government web pages linked in the sticky messages at the top of this message board.

Thanks for the advice, I think we will take our chances, in the worst case scenario we can buy return flights at the airport.

Hi Nigeluk,

You are welcome, and please keep us posted on how it turns out.

Good luck with your border crossing and your planned trip!

Cheers,
--
  Vall & Mo.

... in the worst case scenario we can buy return flights at the airport.

I'm not sure how you'd do that if they won't let you in. At the airports I'm familiar with, international arrivals can't get to the ticket agents until after you pass through customs & border patrol.

Our recent experience....

We were asked for proof of return flight in May when we arrived. As I hadn't thought to print the tickets, we were sent on to a 2nd interview where they got someone from British Airways in to confirm we had seats. The first officer wouldn't let me switch my phone on to show him the confirmation, which is fair enough as use of mobiles not allowed in entry hall.

I recommend you book a return, the one way fares are almost as expensive anyhow and I think it will cost around ?100 per person to move the date, if you have more than 1 leg it will be that for each leg per person. 

They may still let you in even though you don't have a return booked.  It's up to you to decide what is best.....

I wouldn't take a chance of not being allowed into this amazing country.

Bring paperwork to prove you have a residence in the UK etc.

Back
Top Bottom