BANG!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeilerBird

I got the crap scared out of me yesterday. It was raining and Tarzan, my huge male tomcat, was in his usual location, my lap sleeping, when a branch from the oak tree above me fell out of the tree and landed on the top of the slide out that I sit in. The log was about 5 feet long. My slide out is a five sided box about 7 feet by 7 feet by 3 feet and the branch landed about three feet above my head. I had just taken a shower and was in my underpants and polo shirt. Tarzan jumped straight up in the air and split leaving tracks of blood on my legs.

Attachments

• Log.jpg
    Log.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 143
I don't know which would be worse, the BANG or the cat. :eek: A tree top snapped off and landed on the neighbor's house the other day. Good thing he was in the front yard, he is quite elderly, deaf, and can't move very fast. Their daughter heard the crack, ran inside and yelled at mom to get out, she said she hasn't run that fast since high school track.

Yikes!  I still have a branch about that size that went through through the windshield of my old truck about 10 years ago.  It got thrown from a small truck ahead of me when he ran over it.  Luckily it went through the passenger side, and no one was sitting in it.  I kept the branch as a souvenir.

glad your ok and  good thing you had clean underwear on.....

we saw a tree hit 2 campers this year at Tippecanoe SP in Indiana. the sound of the tree cracking was very loud, thankfully no one got hurt.

Have had Acorns and such hit the RV but no limbs yet. Have had fireworks go off entirely too close.  And Alex. (My Feline housemate) just looks at me "Well if he's not excited I guess I'll go back to sleep" and so he does.

I was warned about the acorns before I moved in but in six months I have only had one acorn hit the RV. However fall is just around the corner. ???

Many years ago, my BIL and SIL had a trailer. They were seasonal at a very small park. Several times during the winter he's go up there and walk around the trailer to see if everything was OK. Mind you, there was always quite a bit of snow on the ground. What happened was at the beginning of winter, a 5" branch had fallen out of a pine tree and poked a 5" hole in the roof then fell to the ground. That 5" hole was open all winter. Rain and snow. What a mess. The insurance totaled the trailer.

Heard that unmistakable crack and watched a very large branch fall right outside the office door of the park where we were in Abilene, Kansas.  Luckily no one was coming in our going out.  Couple minutes later another branch came crashing down.  No wind.  No storm.  Just fell.

Where in Abilene where you staying?  We've seen 2 places, one in town and another just east of town.  I'd like to avoid the park you were in!

We were at the Covered Wagon which was certainly adequate and not run-down, maybe just dated.  Wasn't that there were a bunch of dead trees, just a fluke I guess that the branch fell.  And it was Kansas in the midst of summer so "lush" was not the descriptor!  We wanted something within walking distance to the Eisenhower Library and Greyhound Hall of Fame.  Be sure to eat at the Brookville Hotel but go in hungry!

Tom, be prepared for the "battle zone sounds".  We ended up moving down about 3 lots in St Petes when the acorns started falling.  It really sounded much like a machine gun with multiple acorns hitting in rapid succession.

Ed

Hfx_Cdn said:
    Tom, be prepared for the "battle zone sounds".  We ended up moving down about 3 lots in St Petes when the acorns started falling.  It really sounded much like a machine gun with multiple acorns hitting in rapid succession.
Yes Ed, I did a thread on acorns on my roof you must have missed when I first moved in here. I will be installing a canopy to cover the entire RV next year. I will be having my roof resealed in February and then I will get the canopy a few months later.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,102764.msg929459.html#msg929459

winona said:
We were at the Covered Wagon which was certainly adequate and not run-down, maybe just dated.  Wasn't that there were a bunch of dead trees, just a fluke I guess that the branch fell.  And it was Kansas in the midst of summer so "lush" was not the descriptor!  We wanted something within walking distance to the Eisenhower Library and Greyhound Hall of Fame.  Be sure to eat at the Brookville Hotel but go in hungry!
That is a good place if you want to be downtown I've heard.  We stayed in Four Seasons RV, I think that is the name, next to a RV dealer.  They had a great swimming pool.  We really enjoyed going through the Seelye Mansion also, alot of history!  Love the Brookville Hotel, but eat way too much!

It has become my pattern and practice to try to avoid parking under any trees if I can help it. I will park next to one but generally try to avoid being under the canopy of the tree.  Too much chance of debris, tree sap (pines are great for that) insects getting all over the rig. There is also a condition know as "sudden limb failure" that is common to some trees. We had a giant old Magnolia tree in front of our house a while back. More than once on a clear sunny day we heard what sounded like a cannon going off only to discover that a 8" diameter limb had snapped off. 

Once my buddy had just parked in front of the house with his Mercedes. As soon as he sat down, a giant limb from the Magnolia snapped off and just missed his car. He turned white with shock!  He didn't park there anymore.........

The good thing is that you are ok now go take another showher and change those underwear :)

I wish I had been a fly on the wall to see the cat and Tom!  ::) ::) ;D

ArdraF

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom