EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: service engine soon light came on  (Read 613 times)

eldcas57

• ---
service engine soon light came on
« on: August 27, 2017, 04:36:53 PM »
Hello

Have a 1999 rexhall f53 triton v10.  Presently on the road in Mo. Service engine soon light came on.  Seems to run ok but I got off the road,  don't want to ruin anything. Till I figure out what it means.  Anyone have any ideas of what to look for other than oil, antifreeze. That is my limit.
Eldon & Bert
Buddy & Cali, the Critters
U.S. Army Retired
1999 Rexhall Aerbus 3550 BSL
Triton V10

bearcat32

Re: service engine soon light came on
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 04:52:42 PM »
Check your gas cap must hear at least 3 clicks when you put on

eldcas57

• ---
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 04:59:33 PM »
Bearcat

Thanks for that. I pulled off at a Flying J. Got fuel as soon as I got there. I know it may take a. Couple of starts before it resets. I will let you know if that's the problem.   My luck its not
Eldon & Bert
U.S. Army Retired
Triton V10

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 05:03:45 PM »
Should reset swiftly.. You need a code reader which you can get at any Auto Parts store/Dept. THey come in 3 types

1: Gives you just the code
2: Gives you the code, translates and optionally allows you to clear it
3: Sends the code via BLUE TOOTH to your phone (I E-bayed mine)

Some codes you can ignore... Others. NOT.. But once you know the code... You know how urgent it is.. Some mean "Pull over and call a tow truck" some .. Well as I said, "Try and get it cleared in teh next 100,000 miles or so if you can)  I have one of those on my car.
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

eldcas57

• ---
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 05:12:20 PM »
Well John I'll be taken a walk to see if I can get one. Can you get one at Walmart?
Eldon & Bert
U.S. Army Retired
Triton V10

winona

• ---
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 06:12:44 PM »
Some auto parts stores like Auto Zone will read it for free.  Been there, done that.
Winnebago Trend
Dorothy and Bailey, my big loveable lab

ChasA

• ---
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 06:26:27 PM »
"Service engine soon" does not mean get off the road and shut it down now. It means something should be attended to when you can. It could  easily accept reminder to change the oil or air filter. Your owner's manual  (not the guy that mows lawns) should explain it.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 06:28:20 PM by ChasA »
Apex, NC
2010 Winnebago journey Express 34Y (pre DEF)
2007 Saturn Vue

TonyDtorch

• ---
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 06:32:43 PM »
it could be something simple like low water level or a Evap/emissions error.    If all your gauges are ok then go to an auto parts store and have them read the code.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 06:34:19 PM by TonyDtorch »

eldcas57

• ---
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 06:47:56 PM »
I got the reader, it'll come in handy' but it read insufficient exhaust reticulation detected.  I'm guessing I need to have it looked at, but its not a trip stopper is it.
Eldon & Bert
U.S. Army Retired
Triton V10

ChasA

• ---
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 07:52:37 PM »
reticulation ?.
Apex, NC
2010 Winnebago journey Express 34Y (pre DEF)
2007 Saturn Vue

Roy M

• ---
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2017, 08:12:09 PM »
I saw them all the time when I looked after a fleet of light trucks, mostly dirty or stuck sensors. Often they would go out by themselves, usually we stuck electrical tape over them and had the code cleared at the next service.

gwcowgill

• ---
  • Retired USAF, Retired Auto Instructor Dade Cty Sch
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2017, 09:25:33 PM »
The Check Engine Light only comes on when a Pollution sensor goes out of limits such as an oxygen sensor, egr sensor etc..... If you have low oil pressure only the low oil pressure light will come on. I am guessing that you may have a bad EGR Valve or sensor. I believe the word was insufficient EGR circulation.
2009 Bounder 36B, 2014 Honda CR-V, various grandchildren when school is out. KG4LHS
2014 Honda CRV Toad,
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad

eldcas57

• ---
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2017, 10:48:18 PM »
Thanks everyone

I believe I have a bad sensor oxygen or EGR.  I will have it looked at ASAP.  I did continue on with no problems, so far, just tha light being on.  I will let you know how it works out for the rest of the trip.  Again thanks.
Eldon & Bert
U.S. Army Retired
Triton V10

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2017, 07:36:41 AM »
Service Engine Soon is not a critical problem and you need not worry about immediate damage. The engine would shut down completely or go into "Limp home" mode if there were any such danger.

Service Engine Soon says that the engine computer has noticed something outside of its normal operation parameters and advises you to get it checked out and repaired at your [early] convenience.  Could even be trivial.  In any event, you have plenty of time to get it checked out and repaired.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2017, 08:26:51 AM »
Does that coach's service engine soon light mean it's time to have the oil changed soon? I've seen that on my vehicles.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

eldcas57

• ---
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2017, 06:41:50 PM »
Update

And thanks Gary for your input.  Everything seems to be running alright.  Yesterday the light didn't come on.  Today after a few hours of driving back on.  When I get to my destination I'll have it looked at. And I had just changed the oil before leaving.  Again thanks everyone.
Eldon & Bert
U.S. Army Retired
Triton V10

QZ

• ---
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2017, 06:51:29 PM »
I dont know your system but before you replace anything go to your power center for the vehicle and with the engine shut off pull the fuses one at a time and reinsert them. Things like the 02 sensors, especially if they are the four wire heated design can some times give a bad reading if there is too much resistance in the circuit.  The fuses are exposed to the environment so very small amounts of resistance can throw a code. Removing and reinstalling fuses gives them a new clean bite. Things such as an o2 can just mean an issue with that circuit, not necessarily that component.

William52

• ---
  • Common sense is not common anymore.
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2017, 08:29:00 PM »
I got the reader, it'll come in handy' but it read insufficient exhaust reticulation detected.  I'm guessing I need to have it looked at, but its not a trip stopper is it.
     If it seems to run ok scan later no Evap or gas cap codes  on a Class A Could be a sensor like O2 heater?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 08:32:12 PM by William52 »
2000 Pace Arrow M35N F53 V10 Ford  100,000 + miles purrs like a kitten. Yes I am old school.         2007 Honda VTX double dark side

2kGeorgieBoy

• ---
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2017, 09:08:33 PM »
eldcas57....not sure about your MH (if it has the capability to turn on the check engine light when an oil change is due), but most vehicles require the engine oil life to be manually reset after the oil change. If you or a shop didn't reset the system after the last oil change then it would come on when it reaches it's preset time or mileage.  And a number of them have a "service engine soon" light which has a different meaning then "check engine". 

However, since you said you had a code indicating a problem with the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) system, needing an oil change is not a factor.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 09:11:32 PM by 2kGeorgieBoy »
2000 Georgie Boy Maverick
31' E450 V10  No slides
our toys:
'08 Polaris Touring LE ATV (mine)
'12 Polaris 550 XP ATV (wife's)
1968 AH Sprite (original owners, not on road at this time)
Gary, Jena, and Presley (our awesome yellow Lab).
Westcliffe, CO.

Denver Transplant

• ---
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2017, 11:46:08 AM »
You really need to find out what code its throwing up. With the F-53, the "do not drive" indication is if the check engine light is blinking. If its just on, its likely not something you have to do immediately. We had our check engine light come on in July as we were coming down that last drop on I-70 coming in to Denver. We were way downshifted and doing about 4000 RPM for those last 3-4 miles. It turned out to be a "Random Misfire" error. I reset the code when I got home and it hasn't come back.

An ODB reader and software is required to reset the Check Engine light. I have an Automatic Pro ODB reader plugged in. The Automatic is a big pricey compared to some other ODB readers, but the App is simple to use. It keeps track of where you've been, gas mileage, fault codes, etc.  It interfaces with the ODB Fusion app that will give you access to a bunch of other data in real time.  I think both Apps are IOS or Android.
Aurora, CO
2017 ACE 30.1
2015 Mini Cooper S 2dr Hardtop
American Car Dolly

RLSharp

• ---
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2017, 01:35:28 PM »
An ODB reader and software is required to reset the Check Engine light.

What does ODB stand for?

R
Richard & Linda
Rochester, NY (summer)
Tucson, AZ (winter)

Larry N.

• ---
  • Westminster, CO
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2017, 01:42:02 PM »
On Diagnostics Board?  ;D  Typo or misremembered?  ::)
Larry and Mary Ann N.
2016 Newmar Ventana 3709 -ISB6.7 XT 360HP
2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited toad
Formerly: Trailmanor 2720SL
  de N8GGG

RLSharp

• ---
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2017, 01:51:11 PM »
On Diagnostics Board?  ;D  Typo or misremembered?  ::)

Is that the same as an OBD2 reader?

R
Richard & Linda
Rochester, NY (summer)
Tucson, AZ (winter)

gwcowgill

• ---
  • Retired USAF, Retired Auto Instructor Dade Cty Sch
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2017, 12:28:44 PM »
It is "OBD" for On Board Diagnostics. The OBD II system monitors the emission systems to ensure that all emissions are within federal standards. The chec k engine light only comes on when the federal standards have been exceeded.
2009 Bounder 36B, 2014 Honda CR-V, various grandchildren when school is out. KG4LHS
2014 Honda CRV Toad,
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad

Hosted by Over The Network