mpg??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow! I didn't know they used that much gas! Here I was complaining about my f150 getting 12 mpg towing my TT lol  The wife has mentioned a full motorhome before, I'll have to show her this thread heheh

Dorian said:
Wow! I didn't know they used that much gas! Here I was complaining about my f150 getting 12 mpg towing my TT lol  The wife has mentioned a full motorhome before, I'll have to show her this thread heheh
You spend 95% of your time living in a RV and 5% driving it. I feel it is unwise to make a purchase of an RV on the basis of gas mileage. That is like marrying Dolly Parton because you think she might be a good cook.

Haha good point!  We're just weekenders with the occasional 4-5 day trips per summer, but for some reason the wife thinks a MH would be a good idea :p

We're in a 44' DP ... 405 MaxForce Engine.  We typically get between 7 and 7.5 MPG.  Note that tried and true method of calculating MPG of "Miles driven divided by # of Gallons added" gets skewed a bit by both Aquahot use as well as generator use - so you've got to take that into consideration when calculating your actual mileage results - recognizing that the calculation of your actual engine fuel use may have been impacted by fuel used by the generator or your Aquahot.

SeilerBird said:
You spend 95% of your time living in a RV and 5% driving it. I feel it is unwise to make a purchase of an RV on the basis of gas mileage. That is like marrying Dolly Parton because you think she might be a good cook.

Dolly Parton can't cook?

Dorian said:
Haha good point!  We're just weekenders with the occasional 4-5 day trips per summer, but for some reason the wife thinks a MH would be a good idea :p
A motor home is a great idea for many reasons, gas mileage being the least of these reasons.

DTM said:
we were told a 36' gas class gets between 7-13 mpg...
per sellers

You were told wrong. You will never consistently see double digit miles per gallon numbers in any 30+ foot motorhome.

6 to 8 is what you will get over the long haul. Gas or diesel, it doesn't matter...6 to 8 is it.

2001 Winnebago Realta - 22 mpg while going up and over the Rockies.  Try topping that.  Not even my stick shift VW camper from 1971 did any better than that.

SissyBoyFloyd said:
2001 Winnebago Realta - 22 mpg while going up and over the Rockies.  Try topping that.  Not even my stick shift VW camper from 1971 did any better than that.

Were you behind pushing?

1993 32ft Itasca Suncruiser class A.  Gas 454.  I can get 7.5mpg as unladen as I can make it (empty black/grey tanks and 20ish gallons in the fresh tank).  If I load it up with water, hook up the trailer with the car, and run the generator the whole time I get about 7mpg.  If I slow it down and keep it at 50-55 mph, I can eek another .25mpg out of it, plus or minus.

Basically, I just try not to think about it too much.  I only do the math at each fuel stop as an early-warning system for mechanical issues.

Yes, five motorhomes (C & A, gas & diesel) over the years and 7-8 mpg is about right.  Many things affect it - terrain, speed, Aqua Hot, generator running roof air conditioning, altitude, and most of all your foot.  Current diesel pusher at 114,000 miles engine computer says our average is about 7.6 mpg.

ArdraF

if you have to worry about fuel mileage you need to find a different hobby because they all are horrible or just grin and bear it like the rest of us.

A Prius gets 50 MPG and weigh about 2500 pounds.  So it gets a score of 125,000.

My motorhome gets an average of 7 and weighs 25000.  A score of 175,000.  Thus it's more efficient on a pound per pound basis.

SissyBoyFloyd said:

A tiny little Rialta (spelling is correct) is not a "motor home" in the context of this thread. It's a van with a little 2.8 liter V6 engine.

Posts like this do not help further this discussion or help the OP in his learning process.

And I don't believe your claim of 22 mpg in the mountains, either.

A Traveler said:
A tiny little Rialta (spelling is correct) is not a "motor home" in the context of this thread. It's a van with a little 2.8 liter V6 engine.

Posts like this do not help further this discussion or help the OP in his learning process.

^^^^ :)) :)) :)) :))

A Traveler said:

Agreed.  Perhaps completely unloaded on flat ground doing 50-60 mph might get you 20 at most.  My f150's 2.7 v6 ecoboost gets 22 mpg through the rockies completely unloaded...  ::)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom