22 Foot Class A

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Red, Tom is right that length is not a definer of class A or otherwise, it's shape. Which is why just after his reply #7 I clarified: "Or somewhat bus-like." The "box" mentioned by Ardra is one way of looking at it. The mention by Richard: "It does not have a separate cab--only one entry door, no driver or passenger door and the driving seat is part of the main floor plan.  I wouldn't bump my head getting from the living room to the driver's seat, like I do in our class C." might be another way to describe a class A. A class C will have a cab that looks much like a van (often a heavy van front end, including cab) and will have the over-cab section, whatever it contains.

I don't really care what anyone wants to call a type of MH.  But I would bet that most Class A owners would not
look at that 22ft unit and think it's a Class A.

I looked at that 22 ft Flair and it's definitely a class A. The reason there aren't any 15 ft. class A rigs is simply because no one has seen fit to build one -- it's possible to do, but unlikely to sell very well.

SeilerBird said:
He was not talking about his RV he was talking about the class A Mermaid linked to in her first post. The photo is taken directly from the ad.

I know, Tom. In that post he was talking about the interior picture he posted, which may or may not have been the exact rig MM linked to, and I was hoping to be sure that Red understood that the class C in the avatar is not the same rig as the interior picture, though it may not have been necessary for me to do so.

We had a Class A Winnebago Brave...was a late 80s if I remember correctly. Actually, maybe we got it in the late 80s, but it was from the early 80s. Gosh, I can't remember. It was around 22/23'..again-going from memory. It had a sofa in the back that had to be made into a bed each night, so no real bed. Dinette also made into a bed. We had some fun times with our boys.

Not trying to be argumentative in any way

From my perspective you sure were.

I learned, 30 years ago,  that class C's were made starting with a factory chassis with a cutaway cab, the front looking just like a van, with a cab-over house built by various manufacturers.

Twenty years ago I had a 1974 Winnebago Brave D-18 Class A that was 18 ft. long, bumper to bumper.  Similar to this one, scroll down the page to see it.

It had a rear bathroom, a dinette and sofa, and a spring loaded fold down bunk above the driver's and passenger's seats.  The seat backs helped support the bunk when it was down.

The square compartment on the driver's side held two removable 7 gallon propane cylinders, just like you'd find on a towed trailer or 5th wheel.

The Dodge 318 cu inch engine provided plenty of power, the only problem was the Dodge chassis wasn't known for it's precision handling to begin with, and combining the very short wheelbase with the weight of tbe generator and all of the major appliances either over or behind the rear axle made for some interesting moments on the highway.

Lou Schneider said:
Twenty years ago I had a 1974 Winnebago Brave D-18 Class A that was 18 ft. long, bumper to bumper.  Similar to this one, scroll down the page to see it.

It had a rear bathroom, a dinette and sofa, and a spring loaded fold down bunk above the driver's and passenger's seats.  The seat backs helped support the bunk when it was down.

The square compartment on the driver's side held two removable 7 gallon propane cylinders, just like you'd find on a towed trailer or 5th wheel.

The Dodge 318 cu inch engine provided plenty of power, the only problem was the Dodge chassis wasn't known for it's precision handling to begin with, and combining the very short wheelbase with the weight of tbe generator and all of the major appliances either over or behind the rear axle made for some interesting moments on the highway.
I had a close kin of one of those - a 1973 Winnebago 21 ft Indian but it had more bed space and the same 318 engine and was terrible handling.  But I never used it too much and managed to sell it off for practically what I paid.  When I bought it, Winnebago was in the midst of one of those horrible RV industry slumps and they were actually taking out coaches in groups of 20 or more to individual dealers where they set up for a few days and offered super deals.  After a few days they moved on to another dealer until their stock dwindled.  I always thought that was an interesting way to dispose of excess inventory.  Take it to the customer instead of hoping the dealer could get an order sent in to the factory.  Well Winnebago is still in business so I guess it worked.

Bill

Let me throw my hat in the ring...

A Class A is boxy and built on bus or truck chassis. Generally 22-45 feet

A Class C is built on a van chassis with a van front end, plus the passenger and driver doors with a bunk over cab (or sometimes storage and entertainment) These are generally 16-33 feet.

A Class B is also built on a van chassis but without the cab-over quarters. Generally 16-21 feet.

Attachments

• 18 foot Class C.jpg
    18 foot Class C.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 6
DearMissMermaid said:
Let me throw my hat in the ring...

A Class A is boxy and built on bus or truck chassis. Generally 22-45 feet

A Class C is built on a van chassis with a van front end, plus the passenger and driver doors with a bunk over cab (or sometimes storage and entertainment) These are generally 16-33 feet.

A Class B is also built on a van chassis but without the cab-over quarters. Generally 16-21 feet.

I could be wrong but I think a Class C is built on a truck chassis and not a van chassis.

Bill

Bill N said:
I could be wrong but I think a Class C is built on a truck chassis and not a van chassis.
According to PPL a class C can either be built on a van chassis or a light duty truck chassis, which is really the same thing.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/resources/about-class-c-motorhomes.htm

Bill N said:

Bill

A Super C is on a truck chassis. A regular C is on a much lighter chassis, usually a van (maybe a few on pickup chassis).

I just had to chime in on this :)

I have been happily tinkering and traveling in my 23' 8" Class A for a bunch of years. Sure, it's a 3/4 scale of the big boys, but really efficient!

Rich "The Wanderman"

Back
Top Bottom