EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Exterior vertical seam and fiberglass warping  (Read 118 times)

Saxi27

• Katrina
Exterior vertical seam and fiberglass warping
« on: August 27, 2017, 11:20:24 PM »
Hi there- I'm newer to the RV world with my first travel trailer. I have a newer Coleman Lantern light series travel trailer. The front vertical seam looks like it is pushing a black silicone type material out along the vertical seam between the front and side. And also, the top 3' or so the fiberglass is warping. The TT was bought in March, and we haven't gotten it out yet due to schedules. Any idea what this might be, what's causing it? My phone photos aren't super detailed, hopefully it shows what I see though. ..can anyone give me insite? I plan on calling the dealer where I bought from in the morning.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 11:25:21 PM by Saxi27 »

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
Re: Exterior vertical seam and fiberglass warping
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 07:29:05 AM »
That appears to be pretty much normal. The black goop is a flexible sealer in the seam and it is supposed to expand/contract as the seam moves during travel or temperature changes.  The warpage looks to be just the skin deforming a bit around the curve. It looks like there are ribs several inches apart and the skin  is depressing a bit in between.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Saxi27

• Katrina
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 07:41:48 AM »
That looks normal? The entire vertical is oozing that stuff, and I was guessing that was start of delamination at the top. It's only this one place on the travel trailer. The rest of the exterior is flawless.

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 08:01:08 AM »
How old is this RV and how long have you owned it?
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

Saxi27

• Katrina
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 08:05:10 AM »
It's a 2017 Coleman Lantern light 2855BH. I bought it early March this year, so I've owned it just shy of 6 months. The travel trailer has never been out for an adventure yet- summer got hectic and plans changed drastically. It has sat under shaded trees, in a mild summer since bringing it home. We've moved it once to reposition it on our property.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 08:12:42 AM »
By all means take it back to the dealer for a check, but I think the only concern is cosmetic.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Hosted by Over The Network