Newbie in need of advise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guizarb123

Hello everyone i hope you all have a good day, I'm BG and am new to RV life I'm beginning my journey and hope that someone could help me i know nothing and was given my RV by someone who is no longer in my life i would like to convert my RV from a temp usage vehicle to a permanent home if anyone can help give me with pointers or any advise it would be most appreciated my RV is a 1977 ford coon and still runs. Thanks :-\

IMHO you should sell it or give it away and get a much newer RV. A 40 year old RV is nothing but a money pit. You will spend more keeping it running than a newer one would cost you. RV mechanics get over $100 per hour so unless you will be doing all the work yourself it will break you in a big hurry. I know this is not what you want to hear but there are many reasons you were given this RV.

Guizarb123 said:
Hello everyone i hope you all have a good day, I'm BG and am new to RV life I'm beginning my journey and hope that someone could help me i know nothing and was given my RV by someone who is no longer in my life i would like to convert my RV from a temp usage vehicle to a permanent home if anyone can help give me with pointers or any advise it would be most appreciated my RV is a 1977 ford coon and still runs. Thanks :-\

BG, welcome to the forum. Can you do us a favor?  When posting, could you please use periods and commas when needed. It makes it so much easier to read. Thanks.

It also might help to know what a "1977 ford coon" is. Is it a car, van, pickup, chassis style for motorhome, or what? Google doesn't find any such thing.

I wish that was an option for me but it is not. This will became my home for as long as i need it to be, this is why i need help. I don't know anything at all about RVs, I can only drive it and park it but that's pretty much it. The manuals that came with it talk about a limited warranty for fernus, stove, thermostat etc... but it does not say how to operate them or fix them when broken, I'm basically going in blind here so please any suggestions would be great thanks.

I believe it is a econoline chassis, i found some schematics or something that discribes its working part as far as the van part of it.

So is the idea to drive it and park it in one location for the foreseeable future?  Because assuming it runs well enough for that possibility it may be your best option.

I suggest you locate a competent RV mechanic and pay them to review the RV as complete as possible and go from there.  Other then that you need to begin running through all the RV's components and see what works and what does not.  Make a list.  And start from there.  Bring your patience.  They can be tedious to work on.

I would also strongly urge you to take a step back and consider all possibilities before jumping into it head first.
They are all money pits to one extent or another.

In your situation, I believe your best friend/teacher will be the internet. All of the RV components...stove, toilet, heater, etc., are made by only a few companies. Look for data plates attached to the items to find name, model, etc., and search on the net for help on them. However, given the age of your unit, information may not be available, BUT, most things like the stove, toilet, etc., still operate in a basic manner. Certain things have changed due to the influx of computers and digital displays, but the basics still work the same way. A stove still needs propane, on/off valves/a source of ignition, and so forth. A toilet needs water, control valve, sewer hookup, etc. I also think when you are asking for help, pick one item at a time. In other words, ask about the heater or the stove or whatever.  A generalized, "I need help to make things work" is a hard question to answer. And will probably not find too many answers/help since it is not specific enough. Good luck.

The owners manual for everything in your RV is found online. Go to Google and type in the name, model number and owners manual and it will tell you how to operate it. Do you have an RV park picked out to camp in?

Thank you all i appreciate the advice and will try very hard to follow and i don't have a park to go to but i worked something out and i am staying with some family, but none the less I'm on my own with this. Back on point i will be more specific next time and I'm pretty sure you will be hearing from me soon. ?

If you are not going to stay in a park then you are going to be parking on private property. There are many communities that will not allow that to happen. Do you have a plan for getting 110 volts, water, sewer access, propane and the Internet?

Guizarb123 said:
Thank you all i appreciate the advice and will try very hard to follow and i don't have a park to go to but i worked something out and i am staying with some family, but none the less I'm on my own with this.

Do you have a job?
Do you have a vehicle to get groceries etc.?

How long (about) do you plan to stay with/on the Family land?
You might want to think about putting boards down before you park it for a long time.

Where do you live (City and State) does it get cold there?

Older RV's can have leaks when it rains and they are not an easy fix in most cases to do it right.

SeilerBird said:
If you are not going to stay in a park then you are going to be parking on private property. There are many communities that will not allow that to happen. Do you have a plan for getting 110 volts, water, sewer access, propane and the Internet?

SeilerBird hot the nail on the head with this one.

You might be able to get an extension cord for some power but very few Families are set up with sewer access on their land.

Hope it all works out for you.

My rv is not to big and there are others in the neiborhood, i plan on only staying untill next month and yes i am working but im only make about 1200. My budget is tight so im not looking for something incredible just safe and liveable. i want to seal the roof and then try to troubleshoot the components. I know the stove and oven work they run on propane but my battery completely died and so nothing turns on ... well i dont know yet ill have to see.  I live san jose california and i do have a car.

Back
Top Bottom