Here we go... Camping World again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Marcus lives right across the lane form my brother in law in a gated complex near Pepperdine Univ. in Malibu CA.

I have seen Marcus's Bentley Continental GT parked next to his BMW 850 in the garage,  and I know first hand he throws some lavish holiday parties.

IMO...If Marcus really wants to help the flood victims in Texas... he should just cut a check like the other wealthy people have done.

I just think he's trying to make more money by playing on peoples compasion.

8Muddypaws said:
Did you miss the part about CW matching your donation 1:1?  You don't have to buy anything from them.  You don't have to (shudder) have repairs done by them and you certainly (Oh the horrors) have to buy an RV from them.  Here's a chance to do some good while taking some of their money.  That's a win-win in my book.

I totally agree.  A 1:1 match is awesome.  I'm not a CW fan but what I don't understand is why anyone who is genuinely concerned about storm/flood victims would knowingly pass up this opportunity to double their contribution.

Why doesn't Camping World just donate the $2 million?  Why is it dependent upon my donation?  Why don't they just say ... Camping World is donating $2 million to Harvey victims ... Won't you make a donation too?  Then you can decide which organization you wish to donate to, like the Red Cross for example. 

Dumb question here- I claim my charitable contributions on my tax returns, as I'm sure many do. If I give the money through CW, would I get a receipt for that money so I could claim it? Or does CW get to reap the benefits? Same goes for any company raising funds, not just CW.

kdbgoat said:
Dumb question here- I claim my charitable contributions on my tax returns, as I'm sure many do. If I give the money through CW, would I get a receipt for that money so I could claim it? Or does CW get to reap the benefits? Same goes for any company raising funds, not just CW.

Personally I would write it off, but it probably wouldn't survive an audit unless they are giving receipts .

I am new to RVing. Bought my TT from CW and after a couple of months I too have some negative feelings about them.

Got an email from Walmart. They are going to match donations I believe for the Red Cross...Here you go... 2:1! Up to $10 million dollars. Take that Marcus!

Just go to Walmart.com and follow the links to donate.

They other day they were also gathering lots of kayaks to donate or sell at a low price to help in the rescue efforts.

My family has a charitable foundation and we have made donations using matching funds in the past. Matching funds allows us to maximize our donation. It also encourages others, who may not make a donation, to give. In the case of small, local donations, which is what we mostly do, it also gauges the interest and motivation of others. If no one else makes a donation, our very limited funds can be used somewhere that has more interest to others.

Back when I worked for a living, I would always encourage my employer to match donations to whatever charity they were asking us employees to support. After a few years of this, they would automatically do it. It's a win-win for both sides!

I have a pet peeve with Red Cross and will not donate to them.

When they do a collection drive for a disaster such as Harvey, not all the moneys collected will go to Harvey victims; it will go anywhere else in the world Red Cross thinks it should.

Its a kind of false advertising that really gets my goat.

Sprucegum said:
I have a pet peeve with Red Cross and will not donate to them.

When they do a collection drive for a disaster such as Harvey, not all the moneys collected will go to Harvey victims; it will go anywhere else in the world Red Cross thinks it should.

Its a kind of false advertising that really gets my goat.

That may be true but when I was 18 and in the Army my mother died and they evacuated me home, made all the arrangements for flights to and from, 2 weeks leave. They never asked for a dime back or even a thank you...

After Hurricane Charlie we were without power for three weeks, gasoline and food was getting short. The Red Cross was the ONLY one that came by with a hot meal. They had a meal truck that stopped by as we were clearing debris from properties and the roads.

I almost forgot..FEMA helped by cutting us a check so we could buy materials to put on a roof, that was the only government assistance we got. Never like depending on the govmnt anyway so the check was hard thing to swallow

I prefer donating to organizations that are able to leverage my donation with matching funds.  More bang for my donation dollars. 

I've always donated directly to nonprofit organizations so someone posed an interesting question on how tax deductions are handled when donating to a corporation that is not a nonprofit.  (I don't donate because of a tax deduction; I donate because of the cause.)

Red Cross would not be my choice for donations because I have years of experience with Community Action Partnerships (CAP agencies) Community Action Agencies (CAA), Neighborhood Housing Services (NHS), ....  Donations would go directly to the CAPs, CAAs, NHSs, without Red Cross in the middle.  Most people don't have a knowledge of local nonprofits so I totally understand why they would choose to donate to the Red Cross.

When I've donated to the Red Cross, they offer the option to choose a specific cause/recipient. I donated specifically to Harvey victims.

I have been told the Canadian branch of the Red Cross operates differently than the American branch, which is good news for you guys  :-[

Lots of opinions on donations here and all have merit.  All of my donations for disasters are in the form of cash and go to one organization that operates pretty much world wide with major emphasis on the U.S.  That organization is Convoy of Hope in Springfield, Mo.  They operate a huge warehouse here with a fleet of semi-trucks that deliver goods to disaster areas and, in the case of things like hurricanes, send loads of goods BEFORE the disaster happens.  But best of all I got started with them when they asked for cash mainly because they can take $10 cash and get $100 worth of products with their connections.  My wife has been to several local charities where they have warehouses of clothing and other items stacked to the ceiling but have no particular use for those items - they are only there because they were donated.  I have no connections to Convoy of Hope but recommend you take a look at them when considering making disaster donations.

Bill

This information is a couple years old and some of the names may have changed. However, it is unlikely that the relative salary information is much different.

I realized that not all of these organizations make donations to disaster situations, but the compensation packages are still interesting.

R

THINK BEFORE YOU DONATE
SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT BEFORE YOU MAKE CONTRIBUTIONS:

As you open your pockets to do a good thing and make yourself feel good, please keep the following facts in mind:
  ----------------------------

The American Red Cross
President and CEO Marsha J. Evans'
salary for the year was $651,957 plus expenses

MARCH OF DIMES
It is called the March of Dimes because
only a dime for every 1 dollar is given to the needy .

The United Way
President Brian Gallagher
receives a $375,000 base salary along with numerous expense benefits.

UNICEF
CEO Caryl M. Stern receives
$1,200,000 per year (100k per month) plus all expenses including a ROLLS ROYCE.
Less than 5 cents of your donated dollar goes to the cause.

GOODWILL
CEO and owner Mark Curran profits $2.3 million a year .
Goodwill is a very catchy name for his business.
You donate to his business and then he sells the items for PROFIT.
He pays nothing for his products and pays his workers minimum wage! Nice Guy.
$0.00 goes to help anyone! Stop giving to this man.
----------------------------

Instead, give it to ANY OF THE FOLLOWING AND PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE IT WILL DO MORE GOOD :

The Salvation Army
Commissioner, Todd Bassett receives a small salary of only
$13,000 per year (plus housing) for managing this $2 billion dollar organization.
96 percent of donated dollars go to the cause.

The American Legion
National Commander receives a $0.00 zero salary.
Your donations go to help Veterans and their families and youth!

The Veterans of Foreign Wars

The Disabled American Veterans

The Military Order of Purple Hearts

The  Vietnam Veterans Association

Make a Wish: For children's last wishes
100% goes to funding trips or special wishes for a dying child.

St. Jude Research Hospital
100% goes towards funding and helping Children with Cancer who have no insurance and can
not afford to pay .

Ronald McDonald Houses
All monies go to running the houses for parents who have critical Children in the hospital.
100% goes to housing, and feeding the families.

Lions Club International
100% OF DONATIONS GO TO HELP THE BLIND, BUY HEARING AIDES, SUPPORT MEDICAL MISSIONS AROUND THE WORLD.  THEIR LATEST UNDERTAKING
IS MEASLES VACCINATIONS (ONLY $1.00 PER SHOT).

Interesting Richard. FWIW we donate to St. Jude and Ronald McDonald House. Chris was also very active in the Lions Club.

RLSharp said:
This information is a couple years old and some of the names may have changed. However, it is unlikely that the relative salary information is much different.

I realized that not all of these organizations make donations to disaster situations, but the compensation packages are still interesting.

R

That information about charities has been proven false over and over, but it seems to have a life of its own.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/charities.asp

https://www.truthorfiction.com/think-before-you-donate-claims-about-charities/

Dragginourbedaround said:
That information about charities has been proven false over and over, but it seems to have a life of its own.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/charities.asp

https://www.truthorfiction.com/think-before-you-donate-claims-about-charities/

Thanks,  but having read through what they actually make does not make me feel that much better..
Being the CEO of any non profit org. is at a minimum,  ... a very good six figure job. 

Bill N said:
Lots of opinions on donations here and all have merit.  All of my donations for disasters are in the form of cash and go to one organization that operates pretty much world wide with major emphasis on the U.S.  That organization is Convoy of Hope in Springfield, Mo.  They operate a huge warehouse here with a fleet of semi-trucks that deliver goods to disaster areas and, in the case of things like hurricanes, send loads of goods BEFORE the disaster happens.  But best of all I got started with them when they asked for cash mainly because they can take $10 cash and get $100 worth of products with their connections.  My wife has been to several local charities where they have warehouses of clothing and other items stacked to the ceiling but have no particular use for those items - they are only there because they were donated.  I have no connections to Convoy of Hope but recommend you take a look at them when considering making disaster donations.

Bill

X2 for Convey of Hope.  Co-founder Hal Donaldson wrote a book Midnight in the City, when he was a reporter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom