installing new GC 6V batteries, how do we turn off solar trickle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

willh2o

Hope you can help. The batteries aren't charging or holding a charge from the generator or engine running. They are old, so we need to replace them. Papa is bringing 2 new CostCo Interstate batteries for him and me to install. I know we need to turn the AUX BATT off, but how do we turn the Solar Trickle off? I don't find any switches, and the book doesn't indicate any.

Comments, suggestions will be welcome. Either of us climbing on the roof to cover the solar panel doesn't see like a good option. Papa is 89 and I don't like ladders or heights. I am thinking of waiting until it's dark and the solar isn't trickling, but that doesn't really appeal to me either.

Thanks,

Sandra

PS We are on the Mogollon Rim in AZ with a great view and no helpful neighbors w/ ladders.

edit by staff - changed message icon to topic solved

Ahhhhh, thanks. It's only a 10 watt panel. So we should be good to change away?!? Yeah!! I just wasn't sure.

Mark all the cables so they can be identified later when hooking back up. Take more pictures with a cell phone or camera before unhooking.

I have changed my batteries out many times without worrying about turning anything off, and no problems doing so. I just pull the negative terminal first, and reconnect it last. No sparks, no ill effects.

Put a blanket or towel over the solar panel if you are concerned....no sun no voltage :)

Whoops just saw you don't have access to the roof....

Yeah!! We have power!! And everything is staying charged!!

Thanks for the reassurances. We turned off the AUX BATT and had no sparks, no issues--just thankfully have power again!

willh2o said:
Yeah!! We have power!! And everything is staying charged!!

Thanks for the reassurances. We turned off the AUX BATT and had no sparks, no issues--just thankfully have power again!
thats because it makes no current to begin with  ;D

afchap said:
I have changed my batteries out many times without worrying about turning anything off, and no problems doing so. I just pull the negative terminal first, and reconnect it last. No sparks, no ill effects.
Same here. Disconnect negative first, then positive cables, reverse for installation. And like goat recommended, pictures are invaluable, always take a bunch before work commences.

One tip - I have a couple of wrenches that I've wrapped in two or three layers of electrical tape so I don't accidentally contact the chassis when tightening the positive terminal nut or bolt. 

I've been following this thread as I expect to have to do the same soon. "John" how many solar watts are you talking about that you don't disconnect? BTW like the electrical taped wrench idea, will do.

Winnebago uses a little 10 watt panel which might put out around 20 volts in full sun but there's very little current involved so no special consideration required. I have 290 watts of solar on my coach roof that I've seen put out over 18 amps at 14 volts. When I was installing the panels I completely covered them with thick cardboard to minimize any install issues.

John Canfield said:
Same here. Disconnect negative first, then positive cables, reverse for installation. And like goat recommended, pictures are invaluable, always take a bunch before work commences.

One tip - I have a couple of wrenches that I've wrapped in two or three layers of electrical tape so I don't accidentally contact the chassis when tightening the positive terminal nut or bolt.

John, what difference would it make tape or no tape. As long as you disconnect the negative initially like you said, then reconnect the negative terminal last, you won't get any sparks if you touch the chassis while tightening the positive clamp.

Sometimes I'll periodically tighten the battery bolts/nuts with the negative cable attached. When I was changing my battery mode solenoid I was dealing with live 12V in a very confined area and had to be super careful. I keep taped up 3/8", 1/2" and 9/16" wrenches. One of my 1/4" ratchets has a taped up handle. Cheap insurance if you make a mistake.

John Canfield said:
Sometimes I'll periodically tighten the battery bolts/nuts with the negative cable attached. When I was changing my battery mode solenoid I was dealing with live 12V in a very confined area and had to be super careful. I keep taped up 3/8", 1/2" and 9/16" wrenches. One of my 1/4" ratchets has a taped up handle. Cheap insurance if you make a mistake.

Good idea.

Back
Top Bottom