Starting my cargo trailer conversion soon.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bbbriggs

In about two weeks I am picking up a Haulmark 7x14 twin axle aluminum trailer that I am going to convert to a travel trailer. After stripping the inside I am going to insulate it, install a Murphy bed, an awning and a pioneer heat pump/ac. Will be picking it up in the Salt Lake City area on my way to New Mexico where my brother and I will finish the rest of the work. I am into it about $7500 so far.

I wish you all the best on your project and will help where I can, but for $7500, you could have bought a small camper and remodel/repair a lot cheaper and easier.

Have gotten started on the conversion. So far painted floor with epoxy, installed insulation in ceiling and floors, installed awning. Getting ready to finish inside walls with nice plywood and put in a/c.

Attachments

• IMG_289.jpg
    IMG_289.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_286.jpg
    IMG_286.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 66
Bbbriggs said:
In about two weeks I am picking up a Haulmark 7x14 twin axle aluminum trailer that I am going to convert to a travel trailer. After stripping the inside I am going to insulate it, install a Murphy bed, an awning and a pioneer heat pump/ac. Will be picking it up in the Salt Lake City area on my way to New Mexico where my brother and I will finish the rest of the work. I am into it about $7500 so far.

Keep us apprised of your mission!  I know of a couple of folks that may be interested in how and what you do to make the "transition"!

This thread from earlier this year documents a similar project.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,105349.msg948985.html#msg948985

Good Luck, and post lots of pics!!

Putting roof coating on the roof. Out in the sun the aluminum roof got very hot.

Attachments

• IMG_294.jpg
    IMG_294.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 52
Finished with the ac install. IT IS ALIVE.

Attachments

• 7DF400DE-3A5B-4759-B8CA-EB4683742CEA.jpeg
    7DF400DE-3A5B-4759-B8CA-EB4683742CEA.jpeg
    59 KB · Views: 36
Nice ac set up. What kind of power does it take to run it?

Just set up the ac to run on the generator with propane. Think the ac uses about 800 watts. This is a 4000 watt generator and isn?t bogged down at all. This ac unit super cools the trailer and removes lots of water out of the air. Very pleased

Attachments

• 1E770A45-5172-4D06-BB4D-DFF03622C92F.jpeg
    1E770A45-5172-4D06-BB4D-DFF03622C92F.jpeg
    135.6 KB · Views: 32
I'm looking at Pioneer products. How many BTU is it?

I like that aluminum trailer, it should retain value pretty well as it can always be used for something if you decide to sell some day.

Nice, that's easy for a 2000 inverter generator.

Just picked up a couple of final items. A good fire extinguisher and a carbon monoxide/smoke detector. Will be heading back to Seattle from New Mexico next week.

Just got back from New Mexico to Washington State. Towed trailer about 1600 miles. Got a whopping 8.7 miles per gallon with the Toyota Tundra. I could literally watch the needle moving. Towed great even in some pretty high winds. Stayed one night at a Cracker Barrel parking lot (will need to look at a small propane heater for no hook-up situations). The other two nights were at rv parks. Cheap walmart electric heater worked great in these places where it got down to 32F at night. Found out that aluminum trailer is very effective at blocking wi-fi signals and am looking at a booster and repeater to help with that. Also I will put in some kind of vent fan to help circulate fresh air. All the new materials are outgassing a bit, especially the vinyl strip door on the back of the trailer. All in All I am very pleased with the conversion.

Good to hear that. we have a fantastic vent in the bedroom that we leave cracked open just a little for fresh air. 8.7 isn't all bad and Walmart and Cracker barrel make up for it. :)

I decided that the ramp door on the conversion was too heavy the other day and wanted to increase the tension on the cables. What a PIA.
1. There is an aluminum shroud covering up the spring adjusters.
2. I had to take out the last section of ceiling and insulation to get to the screws for the shroud. Had to take off the vinyl strips hanging off the shroud.
3. Manufacturer used bastard screws that are between 15 and 20 torx. Or some other bastard size that you cannot buy a bit for. Ended up cutting them out with a chisel.
4. Had to call 4 places to get a garage door guy who would come out to do it.
5. He didn?t show up two times when he said he would.
6. Charged me $170 for 10 minutes of work.
7. Now I have to put everything back together.

Back
Top Bottom