Low water pressure from water pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2011winnie

Had the RV out this past week. Filled up the on board tank rather than use the camp sites bad water.
Could not get normal pressure, just an annoying trickle and the pump would not shut off. Also notice that the toilet water would not shut off which may have been the cause of the pump not shutting down.

Just took out the pump, any way of checking it or should i just buy a new one?  Thanks

edit by staff - changed message icon to topic solved

Just randomly replacing parts is a very poor way to troubleshoot something. The first thing I would do is look for a leak in the plumbing system and measure the voltage at the pump. Those things don't cost money.

If the valves in the water bay are not set right, the pump will not shut off, and you will get very little pressure. Make sure the valves are set for use, not tank fill. Did someone change some of the settings by chance.

There's a good chance that there is a filter at the inlet of the water pump. You may want to check it to ensure it's clean. If any water is running, the pump will constantly run, or at least short cycle on and off.

Thank you for the replies.

No obvious leaks, took as many covers off as I could to see inlet/outlet hoses.
Valves are in right direction.
Took filter off and all seems very clean.

Did not check voltage at pump yet.

Also check any winterization valves for their correct position. The city water/tank fill two way valve is notorious for going bad, the handle could be in the correct position but the valve is leaking internally causing the pump to run.  Since the pump is running, you don't need to bother with checking the voltage at this point.

John Hilley said:
You said that the toilet keeps running. That could well be the reason the pump doesn't shut off.

They said "Also notice that the toilet water would not shut off which may have been the cause of the pump not shutting down".  So as you say John, that's probably the culprit.. I would look at that before anything else.

Just an update, it was a dumb thing on my part. I apparently did not turn the fill valve back to the right position....all is good  Duh

2011winnie said:
Just an update, it was a dumb thing on my part. I apparently did not turn the fill valve back to the right position....all is good  Duh

Don't feel bad I have done that.  To use the pump the fill valve has to be on Tank Fill position.  In city water position the pump is deactivated (turn it off at panel).  I suspect the failure of the toilet to shut off was due to the low water pressure - just a guess.  Sure can get frustrating when those things happen.  I was about to panic when the leveling jacks would not work until my wife asked if I had set the emergency brake - duh.  And for some reason my bedroom slide will not work to extend unless the engine is running.  Works fine retracting with engine  off.  Go figure.

Bill

It's the opposite way in my Horizon, to use the water pump the fill/city water has to be in the city water position. The only use for the fill tank position is to fill the tank.

John Canfield said:
It's the opposite way in my Horizon, to use the water pump the fill/city water has to be in the city water position. The only use for the fill tank position is to fill the tank.
I think the difference John is that when it is on City Water fill, the pump system is closed off from the outside so it is allowed to pressurize.  When on straight City Water input the system relies on the campground water system to pressurize but I think the labels could be worded better so as to not confuse.

Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom