EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Backup cameras needed  (Read 314 times)

Mickey G

• ---
Backup cameras needed
« on: August 29, 2017, 02:30:04 PM »
Im looking into buying a 2 camera backup camera kit for my Crew Cab truck and my 30' 5th wheel camper.g
They are also trying to sell me a Right side and a Left side camera to mount on the front sides of the 5th wheel.
Do  any of you with backup cameras have the side cameras on your camper
Are they not just an extra add on not really needed? I could use the extra money on other camper things.
Also, If I get the extra 2 cameras for the sides, I will have to upgrade to a quad screen monitor which will be more money.

kdbgoat

• ---
Re: Backup cameras needed
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 02:53:15 PM »
I don't know how well side cameras will work on a fifth wheel, but on my C, they're useless.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

Iowajohn

• ---
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2017, 05:17:33 PM »
Hi,
  I have a Furrion Wireless Observation System backup camera.  You can use them on 5th wheels, or travel trailers.  Alot of new campers have the wiring already on the back.  This one is normally on all
the time so when your on the road you can check to see if anyone is behind before you can pass some one.  Or you could back up to see where you are at when needed. Check online for more info

Do not know if side cameras are needed.  Alot of motor homes have them and its nice to have for that for sure.

Hope that can help you.
John

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 05:42:20 PM »
It's not possible to watch the image from four cameras and two mirrors at the same time. Don't waste your money.

grashley

• ---
  • Western KY for now.
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2017, 06:41:43 PM »
Where did you plan to place the two cameras you initially wanted?
Preacher Gordon
09 Grand Junction 35 TMS - not yet received
2013 F350 Lariat LB SRW Supercab diesel 4X4
Nimrod Series 70 popup (sold)
It's not a dumb question if you do not know the answer.

QZ

• ---
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2017, 07:56:16 PM »
I have a wired Rear View Safety set up with one camera on the top rear of my FW. I bought it because I'm double towing but was surprised at how much it shows of everything back there. I dont think I need side views because I'd still be manually checking my blind spots. The truck already has a backup camera.

RVRAC

• ---
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 10:18:57 PM »
When I had a FW, we installed a Voyage wireless.  It worked perfect.
2017 Leprechaun 311 FS
Toad: 2016 Jeep Patriot
American Dolly
Home: WI
Snowbird 6 months/yr.

RV_Fan86

• ---
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 08:51:33 AM »
yea where are you going to put the two backup cameras?

Mickey G

• ---
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2017, 05:07:10 AM »
I was told to mount the side cameras toward the front of the 5th wheel to get a better view from the front of the 5th wheel to the back.
I never pulled or even had a 5th wheel.
Would I get by with just the truck mirrors, or would I need the side cameras to check any blind spots?

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2017, 01:50:19 PM »
Forget the side cameras. What you need are good towing mirrors for the truck. If you don't have them as stock equipment, invest in a good set (not the crappy clip on mirrors).

If you put cameras on the trailer, you're not getting the full picture of what's beside you or anything between your door and the field of vision of the camera - a significant number of feet. Relying on cameras is a dangerous habit: learn how the use your mirrors correctly.

The dealer has a product to sell, so he's going to say anything to make the sale. People have been towing trailers for decades without cameras.

Hosted by Over The Network