Backup cameras needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mickey G

Im looking into buying a 2 camera backup camera kit for my Crew Cab truck and my 30' 5th wheel camper.g
They are also trying to sell me a Right side and a Left side camera to mount on the front sides of the 5th wheel.
Do  any of you with backup cameras have the side cameras on your camper
Are they not just an extra add on not really needed? I could use the extra money on other camper things.
Also, If I get the extra 2 cameras for the sides, I will have to upgrade to a quad screen monitor which will be more money.

I don't know how well side cameras will work on a fifth wheel, but on my C, they're useless.

Hi,
  I have a Furrion Wireless Observation System backup camera.  You can use them on 5th wheels, or travel trailers.  Alot of new campers have the wiring already on the back.  This one is normally on all
the time so when your on the road you can check to see if anyone is behind before you can pass some one.  Or you could back up to see where you are at when needed. Check online for more info

Do not know if side cameras are needed.  Alot of motor homes have them and its nice to have for that for sure.

Hope that can help you.
John

It's not possible to watch the image from four cameras and two mirrors at the same time. Don't waste your money.

I have a wired Rear View Safety set up with one camera on the top rear of my FW. I bought it because I'm double towing but was surprised at how much it shows of everything back there. I dont think I need side views because I'd still be manually checking my blind spots. The truck already has a backup camera.

When I had a FW, we installed a Voyage wireless.  It worked perfect.

I was told to mount the side cameras toward the front of the 5th wheel to get a better view from the front of the 5th wheel to the back.
I never pulled or even had a 5th wheel.
Would I get by with just the truck mirrors, or would I need the side cameras to check any blind spots?

Forget the side cameras. What you need are good towing mirrors for the truck. If you don't have them as stock equipment, invest in a good set (not the crappy clip on mirrors).

If you put cameras on the trailer, you're not getting the full picture of what's beside you or anything between your door and the field of vision of the camera - a significant number of feet. Relying on cameras is a dangerous habit: learn how the use your mirrors correctly.

The dealer has a product to sell, so he's going to say anything to make the sale. People have been towing trailers for decades without cameras.

Back
Top Bottom