Affixing to exterior of Micro Minnie trailer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rajid

Hello everyone!  I recently purchased a Winnebago Micro Minnie 2106 FBS trailer.  I'm seeking advice on how to best mount/affix things to the exterior.  For example, the first thing I'm looking to attach, to the front wall, viewable from the driver's seat, would be a "Level Master" 11 inch long level.  It will need to be attached to the curved outer wall, exactly on the most protruding part, such that the small front-to-back level can be used as well.  The second thing would be a backup camera, attached at the top of the back wall, just under the roof.

Mostly, I'm concerned about attaching things, because Winnebago seems to use a thin, fiberglass, outer wall with a type of foam insulation.  I doubt my level (and possibly the camera also) would end up hitting a stud, so it would seem as though a screw through the fiberglass would be all securing it, which doesn't seem like a lot!

Anyone with detailed knowledge of Winnebago construction enough to know how to attach things?

Welcome to the Winnebago family!  You are looking for a surface adhesion product for anything heavy like butyl tape plus stainless screws on a vertical surface. For anything lightweight, stainless screws (or double sided tape.) I usually use #8 pan head, 1/2" or 3/4". A little dab of silicon caulk in the drilled hole will prevent water intrusion in the sidewall.

For tape I use 3M heavy duty double sided tape - it has a red backer tape. Amazing stuff.

You dont' have to worry about hitting a stud - they are thin aluminum square tube and won't hold a thing.  The only way to securely mount is a factory installed steel plate or wood inside the tube. 

Most stuff will just mount directly to the wall.  The wall is a thin wood panel with exterior gel coat and that's the anchor point.  Once you pass that, it's just Styrofoam, or empty stud.

I'm not actually concerned about screwing into a stud. I'm more concerned that when I screw into the exterior skin, I'm actually screwing into only a thin fiberglass layer which will probably not hold much of anything regarding weight. It would seem to me that a metal screw, screwed into a thin fiberglass layer, would tend to pull out relatively easily. That's my concern.

rajid said:
I'm not actually concerned about screwing into a stud. I'm more concerned that when I screw into the exterior skin, I'm actually screwing into only a thin fiberglass layer which will probably not hold much of anything regarding weight. It would seem to me that a metal screw, screwed into a thin fiberglass layer, would tend to pull out relatively easily. That's my concern.
And that's exactly why I recommended butyl tape between the part and the skin. If it's a lightweight widget (an ounce or three), no worries. A couple of stainless screws or even that super duty double sided tape by 3M will work.

My wife asked me to hang some shelves inside our trailer. I used rivets which required drilling holes. She was walking around the side of the trailer one day and asked me what was with the hole in the side of the trailer. One of my rivet holes had gone all the the way through. There's not much separating inside from outside.

John Canfield said:
When I have a situation like that, I'll use a backer of 1/8" or 1/4" Luan plywood to mount shelves on. The backer spreads the load around a large surface.  For hanging small things in the interior, the 3M removable widgets work great.

That's a good idea. Also, in the future I will set my driil bit to about a 1/4". The shelves are still up and just as tight ever.

Back
Top Bottom