Diagnosing Poor MPG

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like the new readouts that vehicles have for performance, mileage, and such. Most vehicles on the road these days have this info available from the main computer. They just don't have a handy display. To get the readouts in my 1999 Chevy 3500 Winnebago I bought the UltraGauge dongle. The screen I set as primary on my smartphone has both instant and average fuel mileage gauges, along with RPMs and actual coolant temp (preferred over the idiot light).

In the hills I watch as the instant MPG goes from 0.5 to 40 (pegged), then watch the average settle down to around 9.2 or so during a long trip.

The secondary screen has dials for engine load, RPM, coolant, and instant MPG. I use this to train myself to feel when the RV is doing its best in various traffic and terrain.

[edit] There is the added bonus of any codes from the system (flashing engine light) are displayed in easy to understand sentences.

We've used a Silverleaf for quite a few years and like being able to see how the engine and transmission are functioning.  We usually keep six items on the display with engine coolant temperature being one of them so we can see how hot it's getting when ascending our western mountains.  We also like that it shows what gear we're in because that was dropped by Cummins for a few years.

ArdraF

Back
Top Bottom