Anti sway bars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jdoumak

I just bought a 2017 class C 29 foot Freedom elite and am thinking of putting in anti sway bars.  For those who have them, please give me the pluses and minuses. Do they work? Are they worth the money?  Thanks.

WELL worth it to say the least.

I have a 36ft Fleetwood Class A. I put the Roadmaster front, rear and steering stabilizer on.... huge difference.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 28
Indeed, the first question is "what are you trying to fix?".  The E450 chassis under your coach already has a "stabilizer bar" in the front suspension. And it has coil springs in front, so adding a panhard road (track bar) up front isn't applicable.  Supersteer does offer a rear track bar for the E450, though.

http://www.supersteerparts.com/products/supersteer-rear-trac-bar-ford-e450-chassis.html

kdbgoat said:
My question is why are you adding sway bars?
Really?
It's rather obvious, you add sway bars to stop the RV from swaying.
The stock sway bars are a joke.
I am only speaking from experience, I drove 2300 miles with the unit stock, added the sway bars and steering stabilizer and the difference is unbelievable.
As I said, WELL worth the investment and not hard to install, I did all the mods myself in the driveway.

No, it's not obvious.
And there's a lot of difference between a class C with an E-450 chassis and a class A with an F-53 chassis.
We don't know if he's just trying to control sway, or if he's having handling problems. Big difference between those to also.

On an E-450 having handling problems, the first thing is check to make sure the tires aren't over inflated. Then check alignment. There's a lot of information on the 'net about the caster issues on the E-450's and how to correct.

We shouldn't assume anything, that why we should ask for clarification of the problem he's trying to correct.

"My question is why are you adding sway bars?"
Some have told me it improves the handling.  While traveling and having a big rig pass me up the vehicle is pushed to the right.  After it passes and pulls in front of me the turbulence makes the rig hard to keep straight.  I have to fight it till the big rig pulls far enough ahead.  And general wind conditions effects it.  So I am just wondering if having them installed  will be worth the expense.

In that case, I would check tire pressures to ensure their correct first. Most of the time, it's recommended that one gets axle weights and then follow the tire inflation charts to get the correct psi for the load carried. My opinion, follow the placard that came on the motorhome for a class C. By the time you get it loaded, will will probably be close enough to the GVWR that the placard recommendations will serve you well. That costs nothing.
Then do a bit of reading on E-450 caster problems and decide if an alignment would help you out.
Here's a thread posted on this site to start you off:

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,40337.0.html

Anti sway bars do more to dampen body roll than anything else.  If you have leaf spring rear suspension then a panhard rod will help your symptoms more than an anti sway bar.  The panhard rod or track bar helps keep the body from shifting side to side over the axle.  Gary has written an excellent article on RV handling and it is in the library.

Track and sway bars made day and night improvement in my coach.
I used rallysrus.com and am pleased with the quality and Chips service.

Nothing is going to stop the big rigs from pushing you sideways.  That's basically a severe crosswind, caused by the tremendous "bow wave" of air that pushes into your slab-sided coach. A 12,000-14,000 lb vehicle simply gets pushed out of the way. Even 20,000-22,000 lb coaches get moved.

Anti-sway (aka anti-roll) bars help reduce body roll, but that isn't much of a factor in crosswind handling.  Some people like a steering stabilizer to help keep the steering wheel center, but IMO that's more of a feel-good thing than a real benefit.

The rear track bar I mentioned previously will help keep the rear leaf springs from shifting under the strong side loads of the crosswind, so may be of some benefit when semis pass.

See my forum Library article on some common handling problems and the devices available to assist:  http://www.rvforum.net/miscfiles/MH_Steering_Handling_%20Primer.pdf

Well, I just installed a Hellwig front sway bar and a Roadmaster Steering Damper today with the help of my wife's brother-in-law today.  Took us two hours.  My wife was asking some of the same questions.  When we took the original ones and put them side by side with the new ones, she said "Wow! What a difference. Why didn't they put them from factory."  I had been trying to explain her that they were so much superior.  Even her could see the difference. I didn't have to explain the expense to her anymore.  Lol. 

Took it for a drive test on I-94.  What a difference.  Much better control.

Please let us know which way you go on this, and what the results are. :)

Back
Top Bottom