FM Radio Reception

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmiller226

Well, I've been a member of the site for about 20 minutes and already thought of the first question I have. While out in my driveway, getting to know my new travel trailer, I've noticed that the FM reception on the radio seems to come and go. I'm listening to a local FM channel that comes in crystal clear but every few seconds fades away and then immediately comes back strong. Should I have the TV antenna raised up when using the radio? Does this antenna also bring in radio reception or is it just for the TV? The radio is a radio/DVD combination that is in the wall immediately below where my TV is to be mounted.

dmiller226 said:
Well, I've been a member of the site for about 20 minutes and already thought of the first question I have. While out in my driveway, getting to know my new travel trailer, I've noticed that the FM reception on the radio seems to come and go. I'm listening to a local FM channel that comes in crystal clear but every few seconds fades away and then immediately comes back strong. Should I have the TV antenna raised up when using the radio? Does this antenna also bring in radio reception or is it just for the TV? The radio is a radio/DVD combination that is in the wall immediately below where my TV is to be mounted.

No the TV antenna is only for the TV. I have a radio antenna on the roof and it has a mechanical joint near the bottom. You can loosen the screw and lower the antenna down so you don't clip any tree branches or over passes. Maybe you have a radio antenna on the roof.

Which Radio, Dash or (if you have one) a separate HOUSe radio.

THe antenna for the dash radio is generally .. NOt much (A rubber encased spring on the roof We call it a Rubber Duck) if you have a separate HOUSE radio it may have a decent folded dipole but likely burried in the electronics cupbord which is a bad spot.. Looks like old fashing TV Twin lead.. In fact it IS old fashion TV twin lead. (That's what it's made of).

FM reception can be affected by nearby stuff. Both other electronics and most any large enough metal item.

My suggestion is to forget the onboard FM radio and get a Sirius/XM satellite radio setup. If you have never had it, you'll wonder why you waited so long. Where we live in the mountains of Colorado, it's our only source of radio. We have it in the house, and all of our vehicles including an antenna/docking unit in the RV so I can use the portable unit I have in my GEO Tracker.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sinbad
Back
Top Bottom