Looking for info on Fort Desoto Beach Park, Florida

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FLMikeG

Hi Folks!

I've been to Fort Desoto numerous times as a beach visitor, but I have never laid eyes on their campground. It's a large park, so I've never had the opportunity to take a look at the campground part. Now that I have a travel trailer, I am considering a stay at the campground, but would like some first hand info from other campers.

For example, what do the spots in the campground look like? How are they size-wise and privacy-wise? Is there a buffer of vegetation between the sites, or are they all packed in tightly together like sardines?

I've done research on the web and looked at reviews, but I'm having a hard time finding good photos of the campground (besides the ones on the website). Are there any campers here who can share some first hand info?

Thanks!

MikeG

Photo of some waterfront sites:

http://www.awesomeflorida.com/images/ft_desoto_1b.jpg

Fort Desoto has one area devoted to RV camping.  It is one loop with sites that back up to the water on the right.  The ones on the left are huge pull thru that go from the loop in to the loop out.  The ones in the middle have a lot of vegetation separating the sites.  The ones on the water are not so dense. Usually three or four trees.  We really like camping there. Going back in early December for 4 nights. There is no sewer but a dump station.  Water and electric at every site.  Nice little camp store that sells firewood but you have to rent the fire ring.  $3.00 a night or you can bring your own.  I think the rate is $36.00 dollars a night.

We love Fort Desoto !
There are two separate RV parks. One is for RV's with no pets and the other is for RV's with pets. If you don't have a dog make sure you specify the place with no pets.
You won't be a happy camper if you end  up in the pet area.

We like the water front sites in the pet free area. You can take off in your kayak or canoe right from your site.
We found that there is good foliage between most of the sites.

Jack L

I am reluctant to share info about Fort DeSoto for fear of more competition for sites...

The above descriptions are accurate.  The sites are generally generous in size, and have vegetation screening between.  They also limit pets to certain areas. 

They limit stays to 14 days, but after 30 days you can schedule another 14 days.

Back
Top Bottom