Winnebago 37G 2000 battery help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

traken

Good morning all, So I swapped my house batterys, taking all 3 out to clean up the area thinking everything looked simple enough.  Well I should have taken a picture first, can anyone provide a picture of how the wire should go to hook these back up?
Thanks,
Gary

I think you learned a valuable lesson  :D.  Clean the wires/cables so the colors are obvious and start separating them one by one starting with the obvious red and black.  Work your way down to some unknowns and set them aside. You should have short heavy gauge cables that parallel the three batteries, both positive and negative. When you have the unknowns set aside, take a picture of them and post here.

I dont have a picture, because I sold my 2000 37g, but from my memory I think I can describe it for you. The engine battery is on the right looking up the stairs. The two longest cables go to the engine battery. Red on positive, black on negative. The other two big cables are not long enough to reach the engine battery. The other two shorter big cables, red goes to one of the positives on either of the house batteries. I think on mine it went to the center battery. The red jumper cable goes from the same positive to the other positive on the other house battery. The black goes to one of the negatives on the house batteries. I think on mine it went to the center battery as well. The black jumper goes from the same negative to the negative on the other house battery. This is assuming all three batteries are 12 volt batteries. If your two house batteries are not 12 volt, and are 6 volt, this layout will not work as this is a parallel set up. 6 volt requires a series hook up, which is different. Let us know which you have.

Here is what I have today, things don't seem to be holding a charge very well so i'm thinking I messed something up...  They are all 12v and maybe the engine battery is just shot.  After reading the above post it might be correct.
Thanks for the help folks, I need it.

Attachments

• battery1.JPG
    battery1.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 46
So I'm assuming the two batteries on the left are for the house and the single battery on the right is for the chassis (engine?) Is that a red cable on the lower-right terminal post?

You should clean up all of those corrosive 'fuzzies' - a nice soak in baking soda should neutralize the acid, wire brush and repaint.

You are correct on the batteries and yes that is a red cable on the lower right, its in a sleeve.  I will be cleaning things up just want to be sure its wired correctly.
Thank you.

Looks just like my 2010 Vista 32K setup.  Just went through a 12V issue.  Found avery bad ground connection, fixed that and did a clenup.  All is well.
Here are a couple of PICs. Right is chassis battery and + is in the lower right, like yours. Second PIC is of terminal block behind the batteries.  That's where I found the bad ground cable terminal.  It was the other end of the ground cable that is far bottom left in the PIC.
If you have multimeter you can test for charging current in different run scenarios.  I also removed the batteries, charged them with a charger and took them to a parts place for testing.

Attachments

• Battery Connections.jpg
    Battery Connections.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 29
  • Terminal Block.jpg
    Terminal Block.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 25
Perfect, that's what I needed to see, thank you all for your help, I will get to cleaning things up now...

When you swapped the batteries, I assume you put in new ones. If they are the original batteries, they would be pretty much near the end of their life expectancy. This would account for them not charging well. If they are new, put a tester on them to see what the voltage is they are holding. What does it read when they are charging.

Back
Top Bottom