Solar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guizarb123

I have a solar panel and ive managed to get it to work but i dont know how or what to connect it to. How can i connect it to my main power or can i even connect it?

Hi Guizarb123. Solar panels are usually connected to the House battery-bank through a solar controller and a fuse. The controller prevents the panel from over-charging the batteries. If the output of the panel is relatively low compared to the size of the battery-bank, however, the panel can often be connected directly to the House batteries without having to go through a controller (Although you should still use a fuse.)

What is your panel's output (in watts or amps) and what is the Amp Hour capacity of your battery-bank?

Kev

If you want to know about solar power here's a couple of places to get a good education:

http://www.jackdanmayer.com/rv_electrical_and_solar.htm

https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/

You mentioned hooking it to your "main" power. I assume you mean the 120 volts a/c power. DON'T DO THAT! You will burn some equipment up, and stand a good chance of electrocuting yourself, along with the possibility of burning down your RV. I understand from your posts you probably don't have a bunch of money to spend, but find a friend that understands electricity, or educate yourself before you start messing with electrical systems. I know I sound harsh here, but electricity isn't something to be taken lightly, and I don't want you to get hurt.

Thanks for the link and advice. Would an ordinary electrician know how to hookup a solar panel is their a special kind of electrician For that?

All electricians are special ;D Yes it would take an electrician that understands 12 volt RV systems. Some electricians have done nothing but house wiring all their career and don't have a clue how electricity or an electrical system works. I definitely wouldn't go to an RV dealer for this work. Maybe a good mobile RV tech could help you out though. Electricity on this level isn't rocket science, so you can most likely educate yourself to learn what you need to know. Safety first, learn how to use a multimeter correctly and use it to check for absence of voltage before messing with the electrical system.

Guizarb123 said:
What componets would be good to start on?

This is a good cheap option yet has a lot of capacity for expansion if you ever go with more panels.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Grape-Solar-40-Amp-PWM-Solar-Charge-Controller-with-Bluetooth-GS-PWM-40BT/207100856

This can be used near the battery positive which runs to the controller positive terminal. Your wire size MUST be correct. The breaker not only protects components but it keeps the wire from melting and burning your rig to the ground.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H3DKGFK/ref=s9_acsd_zwish_hd_bw_b141Ad_c_x_w?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-6&pf_rd_r=K5V98D3CHY1ZQH0DS787&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=a24ea407-6367-5e0a-be05-493d217d33cd&pf_rd_i=15734151

This can be used to connect the panels to the controller if your using your panel on the ground. if roof mounting you dont need this.

https://www.amazon.com/Anderson-Original-Forklift-Battery-Connector/dp/B0180WDH90/ref=sr_1_13?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1504186724&sr=1-13&keywords=anderson+connector

Look at Rv's with solar panels and find one that has a bored looking old guy sitting outside and start chewing the fat with him. Before you know it all your stuff will be hooked up. OR come out to the desert this winter and one us us will do it for you. DO NOT create any sparks near the battery because they can explode like a bomb. If you cant do this safely get help.

There is enough energy in your battery to turn a wrench cherry red or blow the end off it with a spray of molten metals. Be careful.

kdbgoat said:
All electricians are special ;D Yes it would take an electrician that understands 12 volt RV systems. Some electricians have done nothing but house wiring all their career and don't have a clue how electricity or an electrical system works. I definitely wouldn't go to an RV dealer for this work. Maybe a good mobile RV tech could help you out though. Electricity on this level isn't rocket science, so you can most likely educate yourself to learn what you need to know. Safety first, learn how to use a multimeter correctly and use it to check for absence of voltage before messing with the electrical system.

Right on and even with all that house wiring experience how may 30 amp plugs have seen 240 volts and blown out countless appliances. One of them did it to my sons 30 amp TT and lucky to only blow the converter. He then came back and rewired at 120 v  but reversed the polarity. 

No, you don't want an electrician. They are almost exclusively experts in "house wiring" and few know much about solar power or even 12v DC electric systems.

Might I ask how big this solar panel is, e.g. 15 watts, 100 watts, etc.? Solar panels under about 50 watts don't produce enough power to worry about charge controllers and you can pretty much just wire them direct to the battery(s). Larger ones need a controller to manage the power and also need some care in choosing wire size and wiring methods.

You stated you got this solar panel to work, but seemingly haven't connected it to anything. How did you determine that it works? You can put the panel in full sun and test the output wires for voltage with a meter. Expect to find DC voltage in the 14v-18v range.

Well the reason i know it works is because when i moved it a little box fell off the back of it. i didnt pay much attention untill i carefully clean the panel and notice that the little box had a little led lighting right up. It has alot of make shift wirering that frankly is dogy at best but atleast i know it works. The info for my panel is ; kyocera, kc120-1, pmax 120v -87w, vpmax 16.9v-15.2v, ipmax 7.10a -5.74a, voc 21.5v, isc 7.45v

Do yourself a favor and watch several hours of you tube solar videos. You will learn a LOT more watching than anybody can try and explain to you. have fun good luck!!!

Guizarb123 said:
Well the reason i know it works is because when i moved it a little box fell off the back of it. i didnt pay much attention untill i carefully clean the panel and notice that the little box had a little led lighting right up. It has alot of make shift wirering that frankly is dogy at best but atleast i know it works. The info for my panel is ; kyocera, kc120-1, pmax 120v -87w, vpmax 16.9v-15.2v, ipmax 7.10a -5.74a, voc 21.5v, isc 7.45v

Kyocera is good.  Are you going to use it on the ground or roof mount it? The box on the back will allow you to connect pos and neg wires to go to the controller.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom