Converting 2 way refrigerator to 3 way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Davemc

I want to replace my 2-way refrigerator to a 3-way refrigerator.  Does anyone know the problems or a good solution? I have a double door Dometic in a 1999 Fleetwood Discovery pusher.

Don't bother.  Running an absorption refrigerator on electricity takes a bunch of power, much more than a compressor based refrigerator.  12 volts can't provide enough energy to run an absorption refrigerator at normal cooling capacity, at best all it can do is slow the rate of heat gain a bit.  And that's on a single wide refrigerator.  A double wide will do even worse.

Why do you want to run the refrigerator on 12 volts?  Propane works very well whenever 120 VAC isn't available.

:)) What Lou said. If you mess around with 12 volt and don't have the inverter setup to accomadate it you will end up calling Good Sam Tow service sooner or later due to dead batterys. # way fridges went out 30 years ago....(12 volt)  3 way...

The conversion is easy enough if you can find a 3-way model of the same physical size. You just need to add a 12v circuit with a high amp capacity, typically around 30A.

Why you would want to do such a thing is beyond me. The 12v power draw of a decent size fridge is too large to run on battery for very long. It's actually worse than a modern compressor type fridge running off an inverter & battery. About the same amps but the draw is essentially non-stop, so the total amp-hours consumed is larger.

You might need to do some research on this. You will find that the move now is to a residential type refrigerator away from the 2 way gas /electric.
I had a 3 way and it didn't keep food cool much less cold on 12V and ran the battery bank dead overnight.
Please explain your thinking as to why you think this is a good idea.
Bill

Back
Top Bottom