First time RV-ing and Model Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Biancahoff

Hello,
Is anyone familiar with the RV models Leisure Unity or Serenity? I am taking a trip down the west coast and found this great company Luxe RV https://luxervrental.com/ and I saw these models and they look really nice. This my first time going on a trip in an RV, would these vehicles be manageable? From the pictures on their site, they look so nice and not too big either! If anyone has knowledge on these, let me know :)

Welcome to the RVForum. I know nothing of the company, but it looks like they're renting some mid to upper end Class Bs, and perhaps some small to mid size Class Cs. All of them should be easy enough to drive, you just take it easy until you get the feel for them. They don't mention any prices, but I'm guessing they'll be pricier than, say El Monte rentals or other RV rental companies.

Kev

The price seems to be $375 per night on weekdays, $575 on weekends.  Includes 100 miles per night rented, no mention of how much it'll cost if you drive more than that.

I too know nothing about this particular company, but in general it looks that they rent some nicer Mercedes Sprinter based class  B, B+, and C, generally in the 24-25 ft length range.  These sorts of motorhomes are typically a little under 8 ft wide (7 ft 8 inch  or so) not counting side mirrors, and between 9 and 10 ft tall.  Compared to most modern Class A's (those built in the last 15 years) which are typically 102 inches (8 ft 6 inches) wide, with mirrors that stick out another 12 inches, and generally 12 - 13 ft tall, older Class A's built prior to about 2003 were often 96-98 inches wide, and about 1 ft shorter on height.

What does this mean in the real world, a standard full size parking space, like those you typically find in a big box store parking lot is generally 9 ft wide and 22 ft long.  So one of these smaller sprinter based RV's could sort of fit in a single parking space without sticking out too much, and still with enough room to maybe open the doors with a regular sized vehicle in the next space.  They could almost certainly fit in a standard parking space if allowed to overhang the curb, this means it is at least theoretically possible to get into lots of places a larger motorhome would not fit, now even though they are not as tall as most larger motorhomes, height is still going to be a limiting factor, and you will find yourself watching out for overhanging limbs, and other obstacles you don't normally notice when driving a normal car.  Unfortunately the driver seating position is much like being in any normal van, so it is easy to forget how tall you are when driving one of these.  Think of driving a class B or C as like walking around wearing a stove pipe hat, and trying to remember you don't fit through most door ways, vs a Class A with its higher driver seating position is like walking around on stilts and remembering you don't fit through most door ways.  Either way you will not be driving through any fast food drive up windows, or parking in any parking garages.

As to the practicality of driving down the west coast I will leave that to someone else to comment on as I have not driven along the Pacific coast in over 25 years and I am sure things have changed.

Thank you, Kevin, Lou, and Isaac for your quick responses to my question! Yes, they are $375 a night and more pricey on the weekends and what I was told when I talked on the phone with a representative that they are a "class C" vehicle and I was okay to drive with a valid license because I am over 25. They do look nice which was my initial draw to the company and they are located on the West Coast which is the travel area for my trip with my family. Thank you for the reassuring comments on the driving of the vehicle, I am a little nervous, but my husband will be driving as well. I will keep an eye out for limbs and other things we would not normally have to look out for. Once again, thanks for all the help I think I am going to go ahead and book with them....I am ready for my first Rv trip! :)

Great! We hope you have a great RVing experience, and we'd love to hear some feedback when you've finished your trip. Of course, if you have any questions along the way, we're here for that too.

Kev

Great, the best advice I can give is to not plan to drive too far on day one, give yourself 50-100 miles of travel on day one to get a feel for things, then get rested that night, and you will likely find driving on day 2 gets a lot easier, and day 3 easier still.

Back
Top Bottom